The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hideous creature she's got the same podgy pallor as an axolotl:
1675845488243.png

Some good news from the BBC -

Former culture secretary Nadine Dorries has said she will not be standing as an MP at the next general election.

Conservative Ms Dorries used her TalkTV show to announce her departure and hit out at "MPs who drank the Kool-Aid and got rid of Boris Johnson".
She has been a critic of Rishi Sunak's government since he entered Number 10.
Parliament's anti-corruption watchdog said the Mid Bedfordshire MP broke the ministerial code by not consulting it before she took the TV job.
Ms Dorries, who is writing a book about the political downfall of Mr Johnson, described "the lack of cohesion, the infighting and occasionally the sheer stupidity from those who think we could remove a sitting prime minister, who secured a higher percentage of the vote share than Tony Blair did in 1997, just three short years ago".
She added: "That they could do that and the public would let us get away with it. I'm afraid it's this behaviour that I now just have to remove myself from."
Ms Dorries, a successful author of romantic historical novels, has held the Mid Bedfordshire seat since 2005.
She was elected with a majority of more than 24,000 at the 2019 election.
The former nurse, from Liverpool, said: "Despite it being a job that I've loved for every year that I've done it, I'm now off.
"Oh gosh, I've just said it out loud - there's no going back now."

Some good news from the BBC -

Former culture secretary Nadine Dorries has said she will not be standing as an MP at the next general election.

Conservative Ms Dorries used her TalkTV show to announce her departure and hit out at "MPs who drank the Kool-Aid and got rid of Boris Johnson".
She has been a critic of Rishi Sunak's government since he entered Number 10.
Parliament's anti-corruption watchdog said the Mid Bedfordshire MP broke the ministerial code by not consulting it before she took the TV job.
Ms Dorries, who is writing a book about the political downfall of Mr Johnson, described "the lack of cohesion, the infighting and occasionally the sheer stupidity from those who think we could remove a sitting prime minister, who secured a higher percentage of the vote share than Tony Blair did in 1997, just three short years ago".
She added: "That they could do that and the public would let us get away with it. I'm afraid it's this behaviour that I now just have to remove myself from."
Ms Dorries, a successful author of romantic historical novels, has held the Mid Bedfordshire seat since 2005.
She was elected with a majority of more than 24,000 at the 2019 election.
The former nurse, from Liverpool, said: "Despite it being a job that I've loved for every year that I've done it, I'm now off.
"Oh gosh, I've just said it out loud - there's no going back now."
The tories 'talent' puddle shrinks again!

The tories 'talent' puddle shrinks again!
I have said elsewhere that she will make way for Johnson in her "much safer Seat than his"

So cynical have I become I don't believe that he "will fight and win my current Seat" . The blokes a proven liar

I would believe he would appoint someone to the Lord's in his PM Honours list having traded that for their Seat

I certainly believe Dorries with a 24000 majority could have been persuaded to comply

try this Ian if your google-fu isnt strong at the moment. If don't think its sufficient I'll find you some more. I don't refer to sexual scandals as power and dropping your pants is a a whole other subject ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom
I think you're clutching at straws, how far back are you going?
At look at this not only has the last chancellor not yet been added to this list but the current chancellor is mentioned not once but twice, and if I remember correctly this came out in the Leverson inquiry when his SPADs were found to have not behaved properly, this should have meant that Hunt resigned. However the one thing that is highlighted is that if Tories are found out they are not expelled/punished but gathered around.

I think you're clutching at straws, how far back are you going?
At look at this not only has the last chancellor not yet been added to this list but the current chancellor is mentioned not once but twice, and if I remember correctly this came out in the Leverson inquiry when his SPADs were found to have not behaved properly, this should have meant that Hunt resigned. However the one thing that is highlighted is that if Tories are found out they are not expelled/punished but gathered around.
only as far back as I remember, do you believe that Labour are innocent of cronyism then? Lib dems went back on tuition fees in order to jump into bed with tories and they were wiped out at the next election, rightly so in my opinion. My point is i'm not biased against any particular party. It's the behavior across all the parties that I despair of.

Naturally only the party in power can give 'jobs to the boys' and engage in cronyism but they've all been up to it at some point and quite rightly the conservatives are, as the party in power being picked up on it. When Labour get in will they really be any different?

Your point about when tories are found out is fair, they have a different approach granted. athumb..

They're not dead yet, if Labour keep despising the white working class man (1) - non woke, not enlightened SJWs then the working class may well have more in common with Thatcher Spawn. A very bad day!

(1) bottom of the heap all victims get preference.

I certainly believe Dorries with a 24000 majority could have been persuaded to comply
Dorries wouldn't need persuasion, she has such a crush (or more ?) on Johnson.

But the thinking seems to be that if he did look elsewhere, it would be going back to Henley where the current majority is 14k, which should be enough to survive.

The real question is why would they bother? It's not so much fun being a backbench MP in opposition, particularly if you've had a taste of being a government minister and you're as self-centred as many of the current lot are. And since Johnson's cull of anyone who isn't a true Brexit believer, they're having to deal with the consequences of that belief which again isn't proving that much fun for them.

And it feels like the Tories could be out for two Parliaments not just one - so why would you throw 10 years of your life away just for the chance of a another sniff at power?

Nurses to stage 48-hour strike as dispute escalates

The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) has announced its biggest walkout of the pay dispute in England.
Its members at half of hospitals, mental health and community services will take part in the 48-hour strike from 1 to 3 March.
The union will also ask members working in key areas such as critical care and chemotherapy to take part in strike action for the first time.
Ministers accused the union of putting patients at risk.
"We are working closely with NHS England on contingency plans, but this action will inevitably cause further disruption," added Health Secretary Steve Barclay.

During the previous six walkouts, the RCN exempted core services from strike action - dialysis, neonatal care, intensive care, paediatric, A&E and chemotherapy.
Any service wanting RCN members to provide life-and-limb cover - as they are required to do under trade unions laws - will also have to negotiate with union leaders rather than local agreements being put in place with local reps.
The RCN feels this has led to too many local exemptions, particularly in areas like adult A&E.
Instead, services will be asked to use nurses who are not members of the RCN, or other health professionals, to cover services during the strike.
Only once those avenues have been exhausted will the RCN agree to provide cover.

Union taking action with 'heavy heart'

The walkout is also the first time the RCN has announced a continuous 48-hour strike.
There have been stoppages over two consecutive days, but they have only lasted for 12 hours each.
More than 100 services will be involved in this strike, covering all the sites where the RCN has a mandate.
During the strike ballot, individual votes were held at each trust.
In about half of trusts, the votes did not reach the required threshold for action to take place.
RCN general secretary Pat Cullen said: "It is with a heavy heart that I have today asked even more nursing staff to join this dispute."

The RCN has asked for a pay rise of 5% above inflation, but the government has awarded staff below the grade of doctors 4.75% on average.
However, the union has suspended strikes in Scotland and Wales after fresh offers were made, even though they were well below what they are demanding.
Strike action is not taking place in Northern Ireland, where staff have been given a 4.75% rise, because there is no government in place there at the moment.
Matthew Taylor, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, which represents health managers, said: "The stakes have just got higher and NHS leaders are becoming increasingly concerned about the escalating waves of industrial action.
"They are desperate for a resolution."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64668779

There will be no winners in this or any other strike, this country is fecked and if i was a young person i would be on my bike to greener pastures, this once green and pleasant land is a sh-tho-e

If we believe what we are told we are the fifth richest country in the world yet working people are using food banks and cutting back on everything to try to make ends meet, we have companies breaking into homes forcing them onto pre payment meters while the suppliers announce they made 3.3 billion profit last year, the country isn't ****** we are being ****** by those that run it.

If we believe what we are told we are the fifth richest country in the world yet working people are using food banks and cutting back on everything to try to make ends meet, we have companies breaking into homes forcing them onto pre payment meters while the suppliers announce they made 3.3 billion profit last year, the country isn't ****** we are being ****** by those that run it.
Exactly. People like nurses, paramedics, driving test examiners etc are not normally seen as being militants, so there must.be some other factor involved to be provoking all this disquiet. I wonder what it could be……..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back