TETB’s Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes indeed!
  • recirculation flow rate 1.9L/min
  • total fluid volume (before grain absorption) 15.15L
  • grain mass 4.45kg
  • diameter of the mash tun 33cm
  • dead space 2L
The mash tun was closed at the top, and there was about 1.5cm liquor standing on top of the grain :cool:

What surprised me was how much the droplets cool down between leaving the spray bar and arriving at the surface of the mash. High surface area to volume ratio?
You didn't include the wattage of your kettle or the volume of water in the kettle/heat exchange? 😂

Heh! I did think about adding that, but it’s a bit misleading really because the kettle power is being managed by the PID so as to maintain the required wortometer temp…
Yeah but, no but, yeah but, for the first minute or three of the step the kettle is on constantly as the circulated water in the heat exchange is cooled by the circulating wort. The kettle wattage would provide a measure of the “efficiency” of the heat exchange and a gauge for how long it should take to heat up. :confused.:

Quick check on the London Bitter. Looks surprisingly clear after 8 days in the FV… tastes pretty malty but it’s probably got another couple of points to come down. Also, as intended, a slightly more assertive hop character than last time.

The unintended twenty minute protein rest doesn’t seem to have done it much harm: it’s certainly not lacking in body. It’ll be interesting to see the head retention but that’s mainly just aesthetic ;-)

I don’t see this lasting long once it hits the keg, but I’m determined to give it enough conditioning time.

5A0F74B2-5B8F-4DEB-B035-59B13EBA814D.jpeg

SG on the Belgian Wit has dropped like a stone and looks to be pretty much 'done'. Not much point waiting for this one to clear down... 🤣

I thought it tasted a bit unusual then I remembered the late additions of bitter orange peel and coriander; and I think it's the bitter orange 'pith' I'm getting... Ummm - nice, I think... to be fair the flavours need time to integrate and round out. I can see this fitting the brief of being a refreshing cold beer on a hot summer day (eventually!)

IMG_9912.jpeg

SG on the Belgian Wit has dropped like a stone and looks to be pretty much 'done'. Not much point waiting for this one to clear down... 🤣

I thought it tasted a bit unusual then I remembered the late additions of bitter orange peel and coriander; and I think it's the bitter orange 'pith' I'm getting... Ummm - nice, I think... to be fair the flavours need time to integrate and round out. I can see this fitting the brief of being a refreshing cold beer on a hot summer day (eventually!)

View attachment 98883

Was it coriander seeds ?

I could hear the Witbier calling to me from the FV so I had a sneaky half glass. Nom nom nom - that’s going to be one tasty, refreshing beer for the Summer: just love the grainy taste and soft texture combined with subtle spicing. WHY have I not brewed this before!

+1 to @YeastFace @MickDundee for suggesting to add a few rolled oats: just love that creamy mouth feel

Yep: 250g coriander seeds (lightly crushed) and 250g bitter orange peel (chopped, dried); both at 10m

Found out (in the hop book I keep banging on about) that coriander seeds act in a similar way citra hops when they are bio-transformed by yeast. They give floral and citrus notes.

Found out (in the hop book I keep banging on about) that coriander seeds act in a similar way citra hops when they are bio-transformed by yeast. They give floral and citrus notes.
Yes presumably depending on if the yeast strain does that trick. Seems like a lot of coriander but when I used 20g it had no flavour at all, I also didn’t crush as it seemed it would be messy.

Yes presumably depending on if the yeast strain does that trick. Seems like a lot of coriander but when I used 20g it had no flavour at all, I also didn’t crush as it seemed it would be messy.
It was about half a cupful IIRC… I’m not sure what the recipe meant by “lightly crushed” so I just put it in the pestle and mortar and just gave it a bit of a crunch - aiming to crack the shells without pounding it into dust…

It was about half a cupful IIRC… I’m not sure what the recipe meant by “lightly crushed” so I just put it in the pestle and mortar and just gave it a bit of a crunch - aiming to crack the shells without pounding it into dust…
We have a Kenwood Mini Chopper which is like a mini food-processor which I used previously.

For my latest witbier I went out and bought a pestle and mortar to see if it made any improvement. Hard to tell so far but I’ve only had 2 pints of it.

Back