Sulphury Smell Taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a corny keg of Simply Stout (a 40 pint extract kit made with 1 kg of brew sugar) but I also have what I can only describe is a sulphury smell and taste coming from it. It finished fermenting approx 3 weeks ago and stayed in my fv before I kegged it just over a week ago. I forced carbed it but the taste and smell are to say the least not the most pleasant. I have never had a beer/stout being like this before and was wondering if there's any reasons why this has happened and more importantly can it be fixed?
I have some amarillo, cascade, chinook hops in my freezer....would adding some of these to the corny be an option? If so which one and how much?
Look forward to suggestions ty

It was probably an unhappy fermentation - when stressed even clean yeasts like US-05 can produce some sulphur.

Alternatively an over abundance of sulphate in the water or over enthusiasm with gypsum/DWB salts can cause this to a lesser amount.

One time I had this in a keg was because I added some sodium metabisulphite to the keg to help ward off oxidation. Unfortunately I learned that yeast can transform this to hydrogen sulphide in the keg.

Over time sulphur does fade, it just depends how much of it you have.

Defo a nutient short fermentation, by the sound of things. You can stir it with a piece of copper until the smell goes.

Last edited:
Wouldn't u be taking a chance opening up the corny to stir wouldn't the risk of oxidation or infection not be pretty high?
I've heard purging everyday than pressurising is an option has anyone heard of this.....

Wouldn't u be taking a chance opening up the corny to stir wouldn't the risk of oxidation or infection not be pretty high?

Assuming the beer is carbonated then enough CO2 should come out to avoid oxidation, but it is a risk.

I've managed to remove sulphur by bubbling CO2 through a carbonation stone dropped into the bottom of the keg and taking the lid off. But the beer always tasted odd and I ended up chucking it down the drain.

I've heard purging everyday than pressurising is an option has anyone heard of this.....

It can work, it's slow. Depends really how much sulphur is in your beer.

Gently. A head like me Mr Whippy is not required. 😁

If you can run a titration to determine the levels, it can be neutralised exactly with copper Sulphate solution.

But you need to be accurate copper is poisonous.

Stirrer method is a lot safer. The Copper (pipe) is reactive.

Last edited:
Back