SMASH brew, but tastes like an amazing NEIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottlesCansCraft

Reaction score
Recently moved over to AG from extract and loving the results so far.

My first attempt was a SMASH Citra-Golden Promise IPA, but I wanted it hazy and fruity to suit the NEIPA style I prefer. I did a small batch 7l brew with no hops in the boil and a single 10g citra hop addition at yeast pitch (with lallemand east coast dry yeast) and 90g dry hop at 4 days to go, the results have been WAY above my expectations. The brew reached its FG in a week with 7% and with a 50g prime has lightly carbonated in 2 weeks in the bottle (which i was worried above with oxidisation, but has been fine), which has also been my quickest brew.

The result is the image, just pure juicey fruit and a smooth full body. Is this just luck??

Attachments

• IMG_8067.JPG
    IMG_8067.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Wow - 100g in 7 litres, no wonder it's a hop bomb!

I brew a 21l brew length so I can fill a corny after fermentation so scaling your recipe I'd be sticking in 300g of citra :)

Sounds nice! Next time try some wheat or oats in the mash to give it more body. I’ve never used Lallemand east coast before, but I’ve got a packet in the freezer. Are you picking up any flavours or aromas from the yeast or is the citra drowning it out. It looks very hazy considering no oats or wheat.

I’ve got wlp067 in the fridge coastal haze. Looking forward to getting that on. Last time I used it, it had a lot of pineapple flavour/aroma. Perfect on a hot day like today!

Wow - 100g in 7 litres, no wonder it's a hop bomb!

I brew a 21l brew length so I can fill a corny after fermentation so scaling your recipe I'd be sticking in 300g of citra :)
Yeh, not cheap hop wise, but I regret nothing. Also read up on some interesting testing by the brulosophy podcast about dry hopping rates and at what point it seemed to make no difference added more, which seemed around 8g per litre. I just had a 100g bag and thought it wasn't worth holding a few grams back

Sounds nice! Next time try some wheat or oats in the mash to give it more body. I’ve never used Lallemand east coast before, but I’ve got a packet in the freezer. Are you picking up any flavours or aromas from the yeast or is the citra drowning it out. It looks very hazy considering no oats or wheat.

I’ve got wlp067 in the fridge coastal haze. Looking forward to getting that on. Last time I used it, it had a lot of pineapple flavour/aroma. Perfect on a hot day like today!
Yeh I was thinking that, the only thing in the back of my mind, was that could wheat or oats in the grist risk being more susceptable to oxidisation as I am bottling?

Its hard to say re: the lallemand, as Citra is fruity in itself, but there is definately a lot of fruit going on here, so pleasant to drink. Might expereiment around with yeasts. Was trying to stick to dry so I dont have to faff with a starter

Yeh, not cheap hop wise, but I regret nothing. Also read up on some interesting testing by the brulosophy podcast about dry hopping rates and at what point it seemed to make no difference added more, which seemed around 8g per litre. I just had a 100g bag and thought it wasn't worth holding a few grams back
Citra though is relatively affordable a kilo from geterbrewed is £37.50 so £3.75 worth of hops for 7 litres factoring in the grain and hops maybe £12 for 7 litre your looking at less than £0.60 for a 330ml bottle given how much a decent NEIPA is that doesn’t seem so bad. I would be very tempted to give this ago as even buying a 100g of citra at a time this is pretty reasonabl.

Latest posts

Back