Removing a post form a corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is there a special tool I need for this? What does everyone else use?

To cut a long story short I’ve managed to rip one of the post seal o-rings cleaning my keg today. I’ve tried my entire socket set (none of them are long/deep enough to reach the bottom) and every spanner in my toolbox and none of the buggers fit.

I’ve had a look on BKT and keg that and neither appear to have any tools that are specifically for removing the posts - is my conclusion that I just don’t have the right size spanner correct? What size do I need?

Hi Mick, do you need to take the post off to fit that seal? I've used both socket and spanner to remove mine, so not a special size.
Yeah it’s the one from inside the poppet so I need to dismantle it to replace it - that’s what I get for getting corny cleaning tips from Google. Someone recommended filling the corny with Oxy and using a screwdriver to push down the ball lock to ensure the liquid got up the sip tube. Pushed it in too far, the ring slipped off, got jammed between the poppet and the post and snapped.

Thanks all - I’ve ordered a 22mm spanner from Amazon

Just need to buy the new o ring now, without going on a massive spending spree

To be honest I take mine on and off all the time to clean between fills with little bother at all.

Yeah it’s the one from inside the poppet so I need to dismantle it to replace it - that’s what I get for getting corny cleaning tips from Google. Someone recommended filling the corny with Oxy and using a screwdriver to push down the ball lock to ensure the liquid got up the sip tube. Pushed it in too far, the ring slipped off, got jammed between the poppet and the post and snapped.
Ah, I thought you meant the one on the outside of the post where the ball lock fits, my apologies.

How long will it take from AliExpress? If it's going to take a while then I'll post mine out to you and you can post the one from Ali back to me?
It depends, usually a couple of weeks. I’m in no great rush, I’ve been winding down my stocks because we are getting our garage conversion done next month so it’ll be the end of April before I’m able to brew again.

It helps if you're not a massive idiot like me and forget which way to loosen a bolt. I fought with one of my gas posts for 5 mins before I figured that one out...

It helps if you're not a massive idiot like me and forget which way to loosen a bolt. I fought with one of my gas posts for 5 mins before I figured that one out...
388e60ce74107b0645a2c26acc5a4ba6.jpg

Pretty much all been said above. I took all mine off when I first got the kegs to give things a proper clean. Nearly all of them came off with a 22mm ring spanner that I "borrowed" from work, they were all quite tight though. One however refused to budge so I ended up buying a deep 22mm socket and some socket drives that would go in my impact driver. Surprisingly even with the impact driver it took a few bangs before it finally gave in.

No need to put them on so tight when you put them back, we don't use these kegs at anywhere near the pressures that were used for the fizzy drinks that were first in them so they don't need to be nipped up by King Kong. 😁

I also use a deep 22mm socket & just nip them up. The O ring does not require anything more than finger tight to seal, so light torque from a socket is fine.

The problem I had was when trying to be too thorough and deciding to try to take apart the poppet valve for cleaning. I have AEB kegs and the poppet is held in by a spring 'spider' which seems to go in with a push but then cannot be removed without destroying it. Perhaps there is a special extractor? (Not all poppet valves are made this way). If I recall caorrectly as it was a while ago, at the time no one had stocks of the spare part to repair the post. In the end I bought a pair of cheap replacement posts from Amazon.

I guess the moral of the tale is take a very good look at the innards of the post before attempting to dismantle for cleaning. I now just clean with PBW & sanitiser flushed through by pressurising the keg with compressed air.

Am I the only one who uses an adjustable spanner?! Stick it on, give it a little whack with the palm of my hand- jobs a goodun.

Am I the only one who uses an adjustable spanner?! Stick it on, give it a little whack with the palm of my hand- jobs a goodun.
An adjustable spanner doesn't fit very well onto my AEB kegs and if the posts are done up real tight then you'd struggle to shift them without damage using an adjustable wrench. So I guess that's why most use a ring spanner or a long socket.

Back