Ready for the summer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattb1969

Reaction score
I tend to brew batches, my latest 2 are just spending a few days in the cool garage before I crack one open
328EECC8-6DFE-4CF8-B744-8EBBE2927C36.jpeg

Munitions Smugglers Special Ale

and

57F073AE-4A2E-4AD5-AC5F-E2A90B6FFC36.jpeg

A Mangrove Jacks Craft Series New Zealand Pale

In summer, the perfect drink is Bourru!

To make a Bourru:
  • Use a 2 litre water bottle.
  • Pour in one litre of Grape Juice (red or white as you prefer).
  • Fill the bottle up to 1.75 litres with water.
  • Shake in a little bit of dried yeast.
  • Stand it somewhere nice and warm for 24-36 hours with the cap loosened.
  • When it is fermenting away nicely, put it in the fridge for 24 hours.
  • After 24 hours it is nicely chilled, not very alcoholic, sweet, fizzy and ready to drink.
Notes:
  1. A bottom fermenting yeast looks better because it minimises the krausen floating on top of the Bourru; but it's just cosmetic.
  2. Obviously, because it's still fermenting the Bourru is never clear and you drink the yeast along with the Bourru; so drink it in small amounts until you know what your stomach will stand.
  3. When the bottle only has about 1cm in the bottom just pour in some more Grape Juice, add the requisite amount of water, put it somewhere warm and away you go again. (After three uses I start a new water bottle.)
It's a perfect drink for warm days.

That's some dedication to bottling there! Mine are mostly unlabeled and all have gold caps, in ratty cardboard boxes in a dusty garage (it still tastes the same though!)
In a dusty garage? Luxury! I keep mine under the garage.
(Garage is built on a slope and the builder had the good sense to make a ladder storage area under the floor at the deep end. Nice and cool in there.) And, yep, proper bottled Heineken is ok at €1.20 a litre when the beer's not going to touch the sides anyway.
IMG_20220602_162947.jpg

Last edited:
Made a Bourru on Sunday, …
athumb..athumb..
… fermenting away on Monday so stuck it in the fridge, …
clapa
… consumed by Tuesday (hot day)!
acheers.

Will put another one on today…
athumb..
… then go to Lidl to get more red grape juice, ‘cos it’s due to get even hotter!
:hat:

Latest posts

Back