Out of my depth please help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
number of things, thin walled stainless pot, glass hob, poor insulation and heat loss when stirring etc.

If i do more might invest in a small induction hob they seem better at regulating heat.

This is trial with the small 4.5 ltr kit see how it goes
Yes, the smaller the volume the harder it is to keep the temperature right…

Don’t sweat it, but just for info here’s why controlling the temperature of the mash matters. The aim is to get a particular mix of the two enzymes (alpha and beta) that convert starch in grains into sugar:
1712676693871.jpeg

The balance of alpha versus beta is what makes the beer ‘clean and dry’ or ‘malty and sweet’. Notice how much difference you get for only a degree or so each way…

Don’t sweat it, but just for info here’s why controlling the temperature of the mash matters. The aim is to get a particular mix of the two enzymes (alpha and beta) that convert starch in grains into sugar:
View attachment 97973
The balance of alpha versus beta is what makes the beer ‘clean and dry’ or ‘malty and sweet’. Notice how much difference you get for only a degree or so each way…
cheers might have wrecked it was parts touching 72 others in the low 60's

Sparge now see what it looks like if ruined its not a big deal and a lesson learned

what side does too much heat take it to compared to not enough heat?

Well managed to get it cooled to 14c and added the yeast, been sitting overnight between 12c and 14c - no signs of bubbling yet i presume the colder yeast takes longer to work?

Got close to SG should have been 1.047, I got it to 1.045. volume was closer to 5 ltr than 4.5ltr, so either didn't lose as much during the boil or too much sparge water

Looks very dark I think i have overheated the mash?

leave it for a week then raise to 18c and cold crash it outside or the garage.

much harder work than cider haha struggled to keep a constant mash temp and swmbo was not impressed with the smell

See how it turns out i guess

IMG_20240410_083811465.jpg

Last edited:
Well managed to get it cooled to 14c and added the yeast, been sitting overnight between 12c and 14c - no signs of bubbling yet i presume the colder yeast takes longer to work?

Got close to SG should have been 1.047, I got it to 1.045. volume was closer to 5 ltr than 4.5ltr, so either didn;t lose as much during the boil or roo much sparge water

Looks very dark I think i have overheated the mash?

leave it for a week then raise to 18c and cold crash it outside or the garage.

much harder work than cider haha struggled to keep a constant mash temp and swmbo was not impressed with the smell

See how it turns out i guess

View attachment 97996
Sounds like you’ve done an excellent job I hadn’t clicked you were working with a 5litre batch - that makes it a lot more difficult than a bigger one to do most steps. As for bubbles- much of the first couple of days with a lager in particular is the yeast growing using the oxygen and any CO2 produced at this early stage will go into solution. More CO2 can also be absorbed at lower temperatures so giving the beer a subtle fizz even in a fermenter.

Sounds like you’ve done an excellent job I hadn’t clicked you were working with a 5litre batch - that makes it a lot more difficult than a bigger one to do most steps. As for bubbles- much of the first couple of days with a lager in particular is the yeast growing using the oxygen and any CO2 produced at this early stage will go into solution. More CO2 can also be absorbed at lower temperatures so giving the beer a subtle fizz even in a fermenter.
Hi Anna, yes very basic kit justa stock pot on a kitchen hob so went for small batch see if it works.

I messed up the mash started ok dropped low then finished too high so that will affect the flavour, something to work on for next brew and perhaps looks at a small thermostatically controlled hotplate, or make something up

Sounds like you did well! I’d say you got extremely close to the correct OG, which means you managed to convert all the starches into sugars during the mash - and that’s the main thing. After all, brewers don’t make beer: yeast makes beer; brewers just make wort :-)

Sounds like you did well! I’d say you got extremely close to the correct OG, which means you managed to convert all the starches into sugars during the mash - and that’s the main thing. After all, brewers don’t make beer: yeast makes beer; brewers just make wort :-)

The brew in the bag method seemed to be ok for extracting from the grain, in my extremely limited experience.

see how it ends up, the irony is i do't even like larger haha

Looks horrendous but bubbling away now at 14/15c

as the hop pellets were so tiny i just tossed them at the boil, when transferring i could not see them, so presume they are in the with all the other sludge in the FV, will this do any harm?
Also the recipe calls for dry hopping for 5 days, as this is a small 5 ltr batch its i plastic bottle, not a wide neck, so not sure how I would get a hop bag in or out for the 5 days. What the best option here throw it in and then strain the whole thing after 5 days? or can i wait until fermentation calms down draw off a small sample and add the hops to that for 5 days then add that liquid to the FV?

Well lesson learned strain before adding to the FV haha.

Settled ok lots of sludge at the bottom my own fault i did not use a bag for the hopps, just chucked them in.

racked it to another fv so get rid of the sludge checked FG and cheeky taste.

I am not a beer drinker but wow even at this stage tastes nice and good lime citrus flavour but felt quite strong, going by the FG will be about 6%

Out in the garage now the coldest place I have let it sit for 10 days then add priming sugar and bottle.

was concerned I had messed up the mash by not being able to keep correct temps, but might have got away with.

See when bottled and conditioned but so far pretty impressed was CML kit.

Small 5 lt stove top kit

Cheers for that bit more work than kits but so far looks to be worth it.
It's true that it's a bit more work, especially for small quantities. It's a bit like making your own bread or something - it's satisfying to create something a bit more from scratch, and you get to tweak things a bit more to your preferences.

Latest posts

Back