Northern Brewer's BYOB Deadringer IPA Kit - no visable fermenation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vergil300

Reaction score
Hi all, fairly new to homebrew and this site!
I recently bought Northern Brewer BYOB Dead Ringer IPA kit.
I have brewed a full grain Brooklyn Brew Shop Elvis Juice kit before resonabley successfully (well it was over carbonated and exploded) but and wanted to try this kit as it was a bit simplier with malt extract.
I followed the instuctions correctly but my wort has been in the fermenter now for 2 weeks and there's not really been any activity.
Some bubbles in airlock the first couple of days but none since, some kraussen but not much.
I decided to pitch some more yeast as I thought maybe it was shaken too much and the yeast didnt have a chance to work.
I also added a little honey to see if this would get things going. This was 5 days ago and no change.

Any ideas what went wrong? Bad yeast (both) or wort boiled too high temp and not enough fermentable sugar? Just a dodgey airlock?
I did taste it yesterday and it wasn't actually that sweet, I expected it would be, wait a few more days and just bottle it?

I've added a photo, any help would be great.

Thank, G

What was the og and fg did you take readings as this would indicate were its at
This. The demijohn is definitely showing signs of fermentation - without knowing the gravity and just looking at the picture I would say it’s been fine. Nice bit of yeast stuck around the sides and a big yeast cake on the bottom.

Looks pretty fermented to me! Get a hydrometer and check what the final gravity is for a few days in a row. I'd expect an IPA to be around 1.010, so if it's around there for a few days in a row, you'd be able to tell it's done fermenting. I wouldn't add more sugar at this stage.

I'm with @MickDundee, its done. I would put the DJ in a cold place for a couple of days to encourage it to clear then bottle. But no more sugar other than priming sugar. And I would use one PET bottle to monitor how carbing has progressed given you are working without a hydrometer.

Any idea why the last batch exploded? Pretty dangerous thing to have happen.
It is most likely to have been one of 3 things - you could have bottles before it was finished (probably the most likely given you don’t have a hydrometer), you’ve over-primed, or you’ve got some kind of infection (probably the least likely).

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.
As for the first batch, bottles didnt explode, just over canbonated so just got loads of foam! Maybe primary fermentation wasn't fully complete or too much sugar in bottle?
For the PET bottle... you mean bottle into plastic rather than glass?!

For the PET bottle... you mean bottle into plastic rather than glass?!
If you normally use glass but have a suspicion or definite knowledge that a brew has stuck (i.e finished before it should have) then it it useful to put some beer into one or two PET bottles to see how the carbonation process is progressing. Then if the bottles go completely solid (no give in them) it is likely that the stalled fermentation has restarted at the carbonation stage and there is more CO2 in the bottles compared to what there should be. Which serves as a warning, since bottles may be 'gushers' on opening, or worse bottle bombs. Clearly you dont get this indication if you use all glass bottles.

Good thinking folks, never thought of that.
Hypothetically say the bottle goes solid... any recovery?

Purely looking at your picture, u don't seem to have any pet jelly round ur airlock at its point of joining the DJ lid, so an asuption would be the co2 has bypassed the air lock as it's the path of least resistance.

Purely looking at your picture, u don't seem to have any pet jelly round ur airlock at its point of joining the DJ lid, so an asuption would be the co2 has bypassed the air lock as it's the path of least resistance.
No I dont, thought the seal would be tight enough tbh...

right so FG reading: 1.11... not ready?
Check it again for the next 2 days and see if there’s any change. If I do an IPA/APA I generally get an FG if anywhere between 1.008 and 1.012 depending on ingredients, mash temp etc.

Yeah thought it was too high. I've put in some yeast feed and going to leave it in a warmer room for a few days.

Latest posts

Back