Nettle wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This i am gearing up for, be a new one for me, and have plenty of place to collect nettles!!

Gather the tips of the nettles while young, allow about 6 pints of tips (5" long). Pour boiling water over this, strain.
Add the juice of 4 oranges and 2 lemons, 1 campden tablet, 1 tsp of nutrient, 3.5 lb sugar, yeast and make up the gallon.
If desired 1lb minced sultanas can be added to each gallon.

This wine i have heard is very nice!!
Has anyone made this before?

never made it, or drunk it, but i hear its very good and nettles are packed full of vitamins and minerals.

good luck and don't forget your gloves :D

You're on your own with this one, but at least I've got plenty of demijohns :)

I'm one of those people who never throws anything away if there's a chance it Might Come In Useful One Day, and my late Father was worse.

I've been rummaging around down our cellar today and have located all my old DJs, covered with 15 years' worth of cobwebs, muck and sawdust but they are all scrubbed, sanitised, bright and sparkly now - 15 of them - and I know there will still be a few more up Mother's loft.

So what other free ingredients are coming into season?

falafael, I just won 2 demi johns on eBay to pick up from Grantham. I'm off to Sherwood Center Parcs at the W/E with the family, and visiting friends in Cranwell. I was going to pick them up whilst passing and get my friends to store them for me til I move up to Newark. Though this might prove a bit of a hassle with a car load already.

If you liked - you could borrow them til sometime after I move (mid June?) and when you're finished with them. If so I'll pay on PayPal, and you would need to collect from Grantham - what do you think? :wha:

Ahem... Only thing is... you may want to do a slightly larger vat of wine... they're 50L each!!! :eek: Right here

i have two gallons of nettle wine fermenting at the moment - slightly differenet recipe but much the same in principle - also two gallons of carrot wine that has stopped fermenting and is put away to mature - the carrot wine already tasted great when i racked it - even the missus was impressed!

you'll have to let us know how the nettle gets on, i ended up not making mine at moment, bit put of by the dandelion going off!!
sticking to fruit wine for now!!

just racked my two gallons of nettle wine off - it is starting to clear and gave a reading of around 0.992 on the hydrometer - tastes really good and very warming on the way down!

very drinkable as it is so gonna leave to see if it clears some more then bottle it! Will see if it has an improved taste after a while!
very cheap, simple and quick to make!

Back