My first time - not plain sailing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDK

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge tonight and started brewing 23L of uncle teddy's yorkshire bitter from a love brewing starter kit.

Sanitised bucket, lid, thermometer and hydrometer.
Heated the malt extract pouch and put it in the sanitised bucket.
Didn't pay enough attention while filling the bucket and now have a liquid too hot for the yeast.

It's currently sitting around 30 C and the instructions (and wisdom of the internet) seems to say the yeast shouldn't go in above 25C. Ambient temp is 24ish so not going to cool that quickly.

I just need to get the hydrometer reading and put the yeast in then I can forget about it for a few days.

Do I go to bed and do the yeast in the morning or try to expedite cooling tonight?

At what point do I need to resanitised the thermometer and hydrometer?

sanitize before taking a reading. As for letting it cool further it depends on the temperature of the location your fv is in. Many people do a no chill and pitch the following morning having made sure the wort is tightly sealed and everything has been propertly sanitized

there will be a lag before the yeast start to work and generate heat by fermenting the wort. I often pitch a few degrees above recommended as the house is cooling down at night, but would pitch at recommended temps if pitching early on in the day.

Thanks all... to bed it is.

Everything is sealed up. I'll make up some sanitiser in the morning get a clean hydrometer in for the SG and then get the yeast in.

And most importantly IDK you have learnt something to watch next time..we are all still making mistakes and improving our processes
Indeed, such a simple thing to mess up. If I'd mixed the water to hit the target temperature I would've had the yeast in two hours ago and this off my mind for the night.

48 hours in. No airlock action but seems to be some foam forming.

Think all is well.

Hops going in Friday or Saturday.

Attachments

• 2FA0A9F4-2F12-46BF-96DB-4850708E33FA.jpeg
    2FA0A9F4-2F12-46BF-96DB-4850708E33FA.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
I have NEVER used an airlock. I could never bring myself to cut the hole out if the lids... Kept the lid closed and could see the buldge and krausen were enough for me for 10 years .

I have NEVER used an airlock. I could never bring myself to cut the hole out if the lids... Kept the lid closed and could see the buldge and krausen were enough for me for 10 years .
Yep - I remember the days when the instructions said to cover the bucket with a clean teatowel!... and if you were really advanced you secured it with pegs or an elastic band...

Added 50g of Fuggles pellets tonight (having first covered them in boiling water).

Took the chance to have a quick peek at how things are going. Gravity is down to about 1015. Quite a strong medicinal smell and some orange bits floating on top that I hope are just yeast.

Attachments

• D7AFAA88-6035-4907-BA62-298898351F24.jpeg
    D7AFAA88-6035-4907-BA62-298898351F24.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
Planning to bottle tomorrow.

Tried to take a gravity reading with 250ml measuring cylinder. Hydrometer is too big for this setup and hits the bottom. Never mind, I’ll sanitise it tomorrow and drop it in the FV before bottling.

Also decided to taste the sample. Very, very dry (all hops) very little body. Can I hope this will improve after bottling?

Latest posts

Back