My First Failure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried a quick half out of the pressure barrel tonight and I can only guess this is the band aid flavour I've heard about.

Am not worried about the odd problem but am more puzzled as I fermented it early September and primed it in the barrel about the 18th - I tried it each week since in a tiny glass and it tasted great.

I sanatised as normal and am wondering what has happened - it would make more sense if it tasted like this earlier.

No dramas but would be grateful for any suggestions.

This was Brewzilla all grain by the way. p.s. the stout I made more recently is banging I am just gonna check on that now - for quality control obviously.

Band aid or medicinal flavours developing after a while sound like a wild yeast snuck in. They tend to throw unpleasant phenolics that lead to these kind of off flavours.

Another common reason for band aid flavours/aroma is chlorines in the brewing water. But you would be able to detect them early on so I guess this is less likely.

Last edited:
I've one on tap with this. Knew about it before kegging but have forced it down anyway. If anything its become more muted and not too bad.
Make sure you super sanitise anything that was in contact with it. My next beer turned out fine.

I had the same issue a while back and tracked down the problem the tap on my old FV (I use a fermzilla now). It wasn’t as clean as I thought. So now I dismantle everything for cleaning and I also replace parts more frequently than I previously did.

How old is your equipment? Scratches in plastic can harbour the nasty beasties that we try so hard to get rid of... It could be your fermenter, a spigot, transfer hose, filling equipment etc....

How old is your equipment? Scratches in plastic can harbour the nasty beasties that we try so hard to get rid of... It could be your fermenter, a spigot, transfer hose, filling equipment etc....
Not very old about 18 months at most - I think I will strip everything down before the next one and go from there. I did for the last one I did and that's fine so maybe I did miss something. Thanks for all the replies.

Latest posts

Back