LAB Open 2024 - Fesitval & BOS Sunday 19 May

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch, those scores of mine are terrible. 😂 Lol, though I expected one of them (wasn’t even gonna send it , but definitely wanted some feedback on what to do with it)
The other one, ahh well! Let’s see what they say. We still like it! 😊
I can brew an awesome lager (of many styles) and as soon as I venture from that, I struggle. Good to keep trying! 👍🏻👍🏻

Wow, 42 for the witbier! Absolutely delighted with that!

I usually go in for competitions saying if I score above 30 I’m happy and anything else is a bonus.

30, 32 and 42 so I’m pretty chuffed (and shows that I actually can bottle a NEIPA from keg without it oxidising - it was only about 4th time lucky 😂)

Last edited:
I’m most curious though about the feedback on my first ever Brut IPA. I didn’t really rate it (and it didn’t place so neither did they obviously 😂) but I’m interested to hear what they have to say on it.

The Brut IPA scored 32 (33 & 31) so scored higher than I expected and higher I think than I would have scored it.

The feedback was pretty good with the suggested improvements being to improve head retention and give the beer more aroma hops.

I noted myself a lack of hoppiness when trying a sample a week or so ago so in the main no surprises (apart from the score! 😉).

Ahh that's really interesting - both my beers had significant issues with cleaning/sanitation coming up in different ways. Always disappointing (not because of the judges! They're awesome and have much better taste buds than me it seems) to read 'underlying a really great beer but flawed due to sanitation' - Yikes. At least I know where to go! Might need some new Star-San as mine is quite old and maybe a new bottling bucket. New silicone hoses. Everything else stainless steel is getting a good good clean down.

Last edited:
Ahh that's really interesting - both my beers had significant issues with cleaning/sanitation coming up in different ways. Always disappointing (not because of the judges! They're awesome and have much better taste buds than me it seems) to read 'underlying a really great beer but flawed due to sanitation' - Yikes. At least I know where to go! Might need some new Star-San as mine is quite old and maybe a new bottling bucket. New silicone hoses. Everything else stainless steel is getting a good good clean down.
It’s quite surprising, and frustrating, how you can be really fastidious about cleaning and sanitisation but still get caught out. For example, flushing my plate chiller with sodium hydroxide was an eye-opener!

Latest posts

Back