Klarstein Mundschenk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did say in an earlier post I would like a discount on a wort chiller. Well Klarstein now have a spring sale on their website. I have just ordered a copper chiller with 40% discount so only £48 - I know I could have gone to screwfix and made my own but this saves me making a mess of things !!! They are also selling a SS fermenter 30L with 40% discount see below.

To obtain the discount this time I simply clicked the voucher code box. - G

1677878427103.png

1677878535170.png

Was a total bargain for sure. Still a little gutted I didn't get one, even though I've already got an all-in-one that I'm totally happy with!

Chiller arrived, pretty disappointed it doesn't reach all the way to the bottom. I don't think it will work for my 10L batch size. Bought it because my old chiller didn't reach down far enough either and figured I'd buy the Klarstein version rather than try and unbend mine and probably ruin it in the process.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0571.jpeg
    IMG_0571.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So I've done the first brewday with the Mundschenk.
In short, I'm impressed. Pump and heater components are more than adequate given the cost relative to other AIOs. Just a couple of issues that ideally I find a solution to:
  1. The deadspace at 7.4l is massive. For a 19l brew, with 30l total water, this allows only 6 litres for a sparge, and impacts efficiency accordingly. A small brew isn't really an option at all. Only way I can think of reducing this is dumping something inert in the bottom to take up space (I can't think of anything that would work), or removing the retaining rim and supporting from the bottom.
  2. The bazooka filter got clogged very early on transfer, despite the hops being in hop bags retaining much of the hop detritus during a big whirlpool. Couple of solutions possible for this: a) don't use it, and filter externally. Not ideal, particularly as I was impressed with the crystal clear wort coming through before clogging. Or b) put in an elbow so the bazooka runs parallel to the side of the vessel, and away from the whirlpool cone. I guess there is also c) give up and siphon.

I agree about the deadspace - need to brew 23l batches really. I never use the bazooka inside the kettle, I have used it screwed to the outside tap as at least it can be cleared if it blocks. Recently have gone to hop spider and pumping the wort out instead.

I am looking to replace the bazooka supplied in the kit with one that has a slightly coarser screen - can anyone recommend one (not thru aliexpress tnx). The Klarstein bazooka has a female connection and all the ones I have looked at have a male connector so I guess I would need a SS female to female union - is it possible to buy these? - G

I've used a larger course bazooka (attached via union) in my old boiler and a few times grains would get stuck between the bazooka and element resulting in scorched wort and a burnt element!

In the Klarstein I've been using the whirlpool arm accessory to make a hop cone and transferring out via pump (with tube attached to sparge arm) and although I'm using a sieve over my fermenter it catches hardly anything so pretty soon I will likely not even bother with sieve. The trick is to chill, remove chiller, whirpool a few mins then let settle for 15min. This way no bazooka or hop spider needed even with a ton of hops.

A side pickup on the tap inside using an elbow sounds a cool idea! With tubing from the sparge arm to the tap could be an alternative to whirlpool arm. Might have to rotate the tap horizonal though. On second thought...would be disastrous if the tube detached from the tap.

Last edited:
I am looking to replace the bazooka supplied in the kit with one that has a slightly coarser screen - can anyone recommend one (not thru aliexpress tnx). The Klarstein bazooka has a female connection and all the ones I have looked at have a male connector so I guess I would need a SS female to female union - is it possible to buy these? - G
It’s the same thread as the malt pipe but normally for me all sections are needed so could be inconvenient…I guess you could replace the tap instead if that was easier?

I think I found another price glitch for the larger copper chiller, £47.99 on Amazon. It's 59cm tall though and we only need about 45cm for the 30L but the extra coils might help with cooling faster.

The 20K copper chiller is £65.99 on Klarstein (£119.99 - £54.00 with 40% code KS-SA4-LE5) however on Amazon it is only £47.99 (£79.99 - £32 with 40% discount checkbox).

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.56.47.png

Last edited:
Did my first brew in NY shiny new toy, a Paulaner Weiss Clone. It has turned out awesome. I've been getting friends to blind taste against the real thing and no one so far has picked the Paulaner. Must be beginners luck :) So simple to make too.

https://homebrewanswers.com/paulaner-hefe-weissbier-clone-recipe/

I used caramalt instead of Dark Wheat as CML didn't seem to have any.

Latest posts

Back