Is this a spoiled beer batch ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxelF

Reaction score
I fermented for 5 days and the CO2 stopped being produced after a slow start. I then opened it up in the kitchen and inspected it. I then closed it down and used some Clean It filings. However it started to ferment again which was odd.

Afterwards I found a bad orange in the kitchen next to the place where I opened the cask that had lots of mould spores on it.

Should I bottle this or poor it away ?

More experienced brewers help would be appreciated as I'm a noob.

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_135723.jpg
    IMG_20200510_135723.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200510_135716.jpg
    IMG_20200510_135716.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 113
Looks perfect. Get the lid back on it. Nothing gets into it if you don't open it.

If the gravity is stable over a few days, bottle it.

Literally everyone goes through this. It's a rite of passage!
Those are almost certainly yeast rafts.

By the way, despite what it says on the tins, it usually takes a lot longer than 5 days for fermentation to finish (I generallly leave it for 2 weeks). Any time you disturb the brew in those early days you are likely to 'rouse' the yeast and fermentation will appear to kick off again.

Those images made me grin because that's just what you want to see. You'll be thinking come on my beauties when you see them in the future. Of course we really shouldn't see them because peeping is baaaad (I was the worst for it).

Yeah, that and the first time you dry hop and see a slick of oil on top of your beer and freak out. Now it literally makes my mouth water!

Just because there is no CO2 coming through the airlock doesn’t mean it’s not producing CO2. I ferment in a small conical fermenter which never seems to seal enough to have much through the airlock at all. If it’s got that sort of activity on the top it’s definitely still producing a CO2! It’s really easy to worry when you start and actually fairly difficult to mess up if you follow basic sterilisation procedures.

Looks like a healthy batch that said lideally leave it another week, when I’ve,monitored them with a tilt Hydrometer kits seem to take about ten days to reach final gravity, and then its worth leaving another few days to clear, hence 14 days is ideal. Of course ideally you should wait until you have a stable gravity over several days.

Latest posts

Back