How to degas wine with a home made degassing wand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work

can you zoom in on how each are attached?

Thanks

Hi no black arts simply took a plastic hanger snip it to size roughly you want, i could not find a lighter so used a blow touch lightly waved (over kill) to heat plastic goes soft run under cold tap to keep it shape be gentle it necks and breaks easy!

i needed mine to fit in DJs so i tried but could not get a decent bend to fit in the neck.

went for cable ties, just zipped up tightly they grip fine if you pull them tight. Snipped off excess so they are just smaller than the diameter of the DJs.

They fold and bend to fit in the neck then spring out.

10 secs each way, slow speed on the drill about half trigger pressure.

First few goes it foams up, stop let the gas hiss out then go again soon it does not foam and no hissing.

A lot easier than shaking and stirring no end

Hi no black arts simply took a plastic hanger snip it to size roughly you want, i could not find a lighter so used a blow touch lightly waved (over kill) to heat plastic goes soft run under cold tap to keep it shape be gentle it necks and breaks easy!

i needed mine to fit in DJs so i tried but could not get a decent bend to fit in the neck.

went for cable ties, just zipped up tightly they grip fine if you pull them tight. Snipped off excess so they are just smaller than the diameter of the DJs.

They fold and bend to fit in the neck then spring out.

10 secs each way, slow speed on the drill about half trigger pressure.

First few goes it foams up, stop let the gas hiss out then go again soon it does not foam and no hissing.

A lot easier than shaking and stirring no end
Thanks
Excellent. I'll give it a go.

I've been shaking my demi johns so far.

Do you degas during the initial fermentation?
Is it worth degassing after the first or second racking?

Thanks again

Thanks
Excellent. I'll give it a go.

I've been shaking my demi johns so far.

Do you degas during the initial fermentation?
Is it worth degassing after the first or second racking?

Thanks again

This time i degassed prior to racking i don't like to over rack so I add fermentation stopped then clear it finings, i degas then or between the 2 applications of clear it.

move it to the garage nice concrete floor let it settle for a week or so then rack it when its properly settled.

Not saying that the right way but seems to work for me I rack then leave in 5 ltr plastic bottles until it really clears then bottle.

I have found leaving the dregs in longer brings out the flavour might be in my head but that what i have been trying as the longer you leave it the clearer it gets and rather do that in the plastic bottle than loads of wine bottles

You usually degas when you add the stabiliser, after a minutes degassing its done and you can add finings and *use the wand to mix it in -
*you can slow it right down to do this part no need for a vortex
Well seems like I was pretty close then?

I just try to avoid over racking that or I am just lazy haha

Latest posts

Back