Hops expansion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seghes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been recently thwarted by large amounts of hops expanding during brew and becoming close to blocking transfer and clouding the wort.
Next batch I used my large hop spider which did the job of containing things but I worry about lack of hop circulation during the mashing?
So the question: Hop spider vs. Hop bag in mash? Or neither and deal with the large trub collection?

Last edited:
I use spiders and hop bags and yes some say it subdues the hop transfer but I have never had a problem. You can squeeze the hops when removing to extract any liquid into the wort so as to get the most out of them.
Ps if using bags and large amounts of hops use large veg bags and sometimes 2 to give the hops plenty of freedom to move around as they swell

It depends on what types of hops you are trying to deal with. The above mentioned hop spider is fine for whole hops but not for T-90's. The hop spiders that can contain T-90's suffer from the same as any other filter and block the flow.
It also depends on what system you are using. Anything that is Grainfather G30 dimensions ( Brewzilla, BrewMonk etc. ) all suffer from being too narrow to be able to successfully whirlpool with a large amount of hops.
Plus, if you put a pump inline with any type of filter the hop matter gets pulled into the filter, making it worse.
Most of the problems we see are caused by brewers not leaving enough time for the kettle to settle after whirlpool, and draining too fast to start with.

By far and away the best utilisation of hops is to have them free in the wort. In a conventional brew kettle, using T-90's, remove any hop filter, whirlpool at the end of boil. Then leave the kettle to settle fully before draining / transferring to fermenter.

Last edited:
That's not been my experience. This contains 95% of my hops. Utilisation is fine.

Whirlpooling is not mandatory.
Tried bags. Not as good as this MJ. Loose pellets are just a mess.

Agree it might depend on your kit - what are you running?

Last edited:
I have to say I try to use real hops & not the pellets.
I have used them in veg bags, but recently I've been putting them in loose, but leaving the false bottom in the boiler during the boil.

What I've found is using too much protofloc is what clogs the tap (sorry, I'm not an AIO devotee) rather than the hops.

That's not been my experience. This contains 95% of my hops. Utilisation is fine.

Whirlpooling is not mandatory.
Tried bags. Not as good as this MJ. Loose pellets are just a mess.

Agree it might depend on your kit - what are you running?
Grainfather G40 - hardly ever gets stuck. My original question was about maximising hop and their oils dispersal whilst not clouding up the wort. (Im not getting much greater clarity with whirlpooling)

I have used them in veg bags, but recently I've been putting them in loose, but leaving the false bottom in the boiler during the boil.

What I've found is using too much protofloc is what clogs the tap (sorry, I'm not an AIO devotee) rather than the hops.
Gosh haven’t heard that protofloc issue

Grainfather G40 - hardly ever gets stuck. My original question was about maximising hop and their oils dispersal whilst not clouding up the wort. (Im not getting much greater clarity with whirlpooling)
After the boil is finished what do you do? You should not be getting cloudy wort into the fermenter, it should be crystal.

Think I’ve been too quick to cool and transfer to FV. It’s what borisc says, allow longer to settle.
Plus I think I’ve been to keen to get the last dregs.
That is the way to do it let it cool and stand for an hour or two. To get the last of the dregs pour into a jug and place in the fridge. Reclaim the clear wort on the top by taking it up to 80C and bottling use for starters or put it into another brew.

Jelly babies?

Latest posts

Back