Has the law changed on distilling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think at the end of the day, this thread wouldn't have started if at the bottom of the marketing email it had a little warning indicating the current law on distilling and health risks of drinking spirits made at home incorrectly..
Spot on.

can get a bottle of whisky/rum/vodka/gin/etc. in Lidl for around £10 not in Scotland you will not with the already high minimum unit pricing in place set to rise by 30% to adjust for inflation spirits up here will cost double that
Apologies, I forget about you poor lot over the border 😁 Ironic that in a place where there are quite a few distilleries already you have to set up your own to get reasonably priced booze.

It's probably going on already but there must be quite a good business case for driving a van over the border, filling it with cheap booze, and then selling it cheaper than the local supermarkets to the community Del Boy style.

Apologies, I forget about you poor lot over the border 😁 Ironic that in a place where there are quite a few distilleries already you have to set up your own to get reasonably priced booze.

It's probably going on already but there must be quite a good business case for driving a van over the border, filling it with cheap booze, and then selling it cheaper than the local supermarkets to the community Del Boy style.
Amazon deliveries come from over the border in legal terms so that has been a way round, part of the reason I took an interest in home brewing was the ever rising prices up here.

I accept there are genuine medical reasons to have minimum unit pricing, but for those that NEED it they or their kids/loved ones will go without to pay more the sad thing is the Scottish Govt do not see any extra income from this, the higher prices just generate more profit for the drinks companies.

Latest posts

Back