First time raw ingredient brew - think there's a problem...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonjester

Reaction score
Hi all,

My parents have been making wine from kits as well as all sorts of raw ingredients, as well as dad making beer from kits very successfully for years so I've grown up with the constant sound of an airlock doing it's job (my old bedroom in the family home is now the brewing room)! I got through my student years brewing beer from kit and have never had a problem. Maybe I should stick to kits!

As a new addition to a local Movember charity event, a few of us at my local rugby club have decided to brew some beer from raw ingredients very kindly donated from a local microbrewery (we're calling it a 'beer'd festival). Kind chap also gave some instructions, but I couldn't attend the breiefing so have got them second hand. After 48 hours, I'm getting very little fermentation with my brew and think something is wrong. Any advice greatly received. The process I used is as follows;

1. Roasted pearl barley at 130 deg C for about 45 mins, allowed to cool and then crushed.
2. Added 3.6kg pearl barley to 20l of filtered water, along with a small amount of "salts and mash"(?) and kept at 70 degC for about 90mins.
3. Strained into a sterlised brewing bucket and flushed the spent barley, the zest of 4 oranges and 12g of crushed corriander with warm water until I had about 23l. I was told to then leave to cool, so I went out for the day and came back about 5 hours later (didn't really see the need for this step, but did it anyway).
4. I then boiled for 20 minutes.
5. Allowed to cool to 70 deg C, then I added a pint of dried hops (don't know the varities unfortunately) and kept at 70 deg C for 30 mins.
6. Added another variety of hops (pint ish) and kept at 70 deg C for another 30 mins.
7. Added a final variety of hops (pint ish) and I think it was a Protofloc tablet for a final 30 mins at 70 deg C.
8. Added 4 tablespoons of honey to re-sterilised brewing bucket, strained brew in and topped up with warm water to 23l.
9. It was late, so I left to cool overnight with the lid on. The next morning (Sat) I turned on the heating band about 06:00 and then sprinkled the yeast on top about 2 hours later, with a good stir. Yesterday, as I wasn't seeing any fermentation, I put an old blanket over to try to insulate, (our house is not that warm) and although it seems to have evened out the temperature, the yeast does not seem to be at all busy. I am getting about 6 or 7 small brown spots on the surface, but no bubbles or froth that I was expecting.

The brew smells lovely and I'd hate for all my hard work to be wasted - any advice (especially on how to recover my brew but also on what I may have done wrong) would be greatly received.

Many thanks for your time,
Colin (wannabe brewer!) :cheers:

Hello and welcome!
Do you know if the barley was 'malted' or just plain pearl barley?
Also - what temperature is the room where you are fermenting? And what kind of yeast did you use?

Wow - thanks for the welcomes already!

Hi Puravida,
Unfortunately I don't know and have now passed the excess barley onto the next brewer so can't check the sack. I can find this out if it is improtant. I don't know what type of yeast it was either unfortunately, but some of the other guys have well fermenting brews, so I know the yeast itself is ok. They didn't roast their barley and I think they boiled their hops, do you think I would have gotten enough sugar out at 70 degC?

As for temperature of room, I will check tonight. It is currently next to a window so will move it tonight incase. What optimum temp should it be for the yeast?

Many thanks, Colin

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

You will need it to be somewhere a constant 18°c - 20°c.

You don't mention what you are planning to do with the beer. If you are planning on selling, raffling it etc at your Movember charity event then I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it would be illegal :nono:

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the info, I'll check tonight. Do you think the fermentation temperature is the most likely culprit, given the procedure I used (i.e can you see any other flaws)?

The beer will be supplied FOC to get the festivites going; we have lots of other fundraising activities going on on the night. Of course any general donations by sampling and non-sampling attendees alike will be greatly received.

I'd be surprised if the grain wasn't malted if a craft brewery gave it to you. I just wanted to rule that out. It's the 'malting' process of the grain that produces the sugars that we want.

A higher mashing temperature would produce less 'fermentible' sugars but there would still be enough so you'd still see plenty of action.

I'm pretty sure that your fermentation temp is currently lower than your yeast likes it and that's where the problem lies. You should be aiming for a consistent temp between 18 and 21 degrees C for most ale yeasts. Too low and they fall alseep :D

The kitchen it was in was 14 degrees C and even with a heating band and blanket (that I put on yesterday morning), the brew was only sitting at 19 degrees C when I got home. I moved it last night into the sitting room and it seems to be up around 24 degrees C this morning so perhaps I need to find a spot halfway between.

Having said that the yeast has definitely activated now - started getting a suggestion of froth last night and this morning there's pretty much a full covering. I would put some pictures up for interest but think I'm too much of a newbie to allow it yet?

Anyway, many thanks for your help Puravida and Joey, first brew of any kind in new house so it's gonna take time to find the 'sweet spots'! :party:

You are right 24°c is a bit warm. I would get it back in the kitchen with your heating belt and blanket. 19°c is fine :thumb:

Latest posts

Back