Finings in a closed fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently The Malt Miller do two sizes.

15ml £2.50 = approx 2 doses per 23lt batch.
250gram £8.99= approx 35 doses per 23lt batch.

I probably won't get through the larger pack before the expiry date. It's a shame they don't do something in between.

Update. The APA I brewed a month ago has finished carbonating so I decided to give 'closed circuit' fining a go. BUT. Before I do it for real I decided to do a rehearsal with water instead of Starsan and gelatin solution. Following your suggestions and advice, this is the kit I assembled for the job ..
IMG_20240518_124100201~2.jpg

The starting position is everything is clean and sanitised. Using my retort stand as a third hand I filled the bottle with Starsan from the flask, venting the bottle through the gas line..

IMG_20240518_131740931.jpg

... stopping when Starsan drains through the gas line..
IMG_20240518_131828419.jpg

Then I swap the gas vent for the gas supply from my cylinder and flush the Starsan back to the flask filling the bottle and connectors with CO2.
IMG_20240518_132035444.jpg

..note the jug position to catch the overflow (oops). I noticed there was some Starsan left in the bottle so reversed the gas connection to the bottle and vented the other to blow the dregs of Starsan out
IMG_20240518_132249099.jpg

The bottle is now 'full' of CO2.
The gelatine solution is then poured into the (warmed with boiling water from the kettle) flask that is in turn connected to the bottle which is vented through the gas connection to allow the bottle to fill. The flask is disconnected before all the gelatine solution is transferred leaving some in the connector and pipe.
IMG_20240518_132437933.jpg

At this point I have gelatine solution in a bottle with CO2 in the headspace.
IMG_20240518_132601489.jpg

Now to do it for real, and here's the gelatine solution being transferred to the barrel of APA that's been sitting at 3C for the last 3 days.
IMG_20240518_130642236.jpg

I'll leave it at 3C for 2 days then condition at 10C until a space becomes available in the barrelator and I can see if there's a difference.
Watch this space!

Update. The APA I brewed a month ago has finished carbonating so I decided to give 'closed circuit' fining a go. BUT. Before I do it for real I decided to do a rehearsal with water instead of Starsan and gelatin solution. Following your suggestions and advice, this is the kit I assembled for the job ..
View attachment 99535
The starting position is everything is clean and sanitised. Using my retort stand as a third hand I filled the bottle with Starsan from the flask, venting the bottle through the gas line..

View attachment 99536
... stopping when Starsan drains through the gas line..
View attachment 99537
Then I swap the gas vent for the gas supply from my cylinder and flush the Starsan back to the flask filling the bottle and connectors with CO2.
View attachment 99538
..note the jug position to catch the overflow (oops). I noticed there was some Starsan left in the bottle so reversed the gas connection to the bottle and vented the other to blow the dregs of Starsan out
View attachment 99540
The bottle is now 'full' of CO2.
The gelatine solution is then poured into the (warmed with boiling water from the kettle) flask that is in turn connected to the bottle which is vented through the gas connection to allow the bottle to fill. The flask is disconnected before all the gelatine solution is transferred leaving some in the connector and pipe.
View attachment 99542
At this point I have gelatine solution in a bottle with CO2 in the headspace.
View attachment 99543
Now to do it for real, and here's the gelatine solution being transferred to the barrel of APA that's been sitting at 3C for the last 3 days.
View attachment 99544
I'll leave it at 3C for 2 days then condition at 10C until a space becomes available in the barrelator and I can see if there's a difference.
Watch this space!
What are you fermenting in.
For my fermzilla all rounders I used a pop bottle half filled with mixture, purged with co2 amd then pressure shot in to fermenter just before cold crash.
On the stainless I drop the mixture through the bung hole at the top and replace.
On both I give them a good shake once in.

I tried gelatine. But found finings adjunct and chitis...... whatever it's called 24 hours later a much better result.

What are you fermenting in.
For my fermzilla all rounders I used a pop bottle half filled with mixture, purged with co2 amd then pressure shot in to fermenter just before cold crash.
On the stainless I drop the mixture through the bung hole at the top and replace.
On both I give them a good shake once in.

I tried gelatine. But found finings adjunct and chitis...... whatever it's called 24 hours later a much better result.
I use a standard plastic fermentation bucket with a lid. I tape around the lid to reduce any leakage and do closed transfer to a pressure barrel 'filled' with CO2 after priming with sugar solution for carbonation. Consequently I decided to add the gelatine finings after carbonation and before conditioning.

I use a standard plastic fermentation bucket with a lid. I tape around the lid to reduce any leakage and do closed transfer to a pressure barrel 'filled' with CO2 after priming with sugar solution for carbonation. Consequently I decided to add the gelatine finings after carbonation and before conditioning.
Yep that works. I guess if you wanted to fine whilst in the fermenter then removing the airlock and injecting in would work and make leave a greater amount in fermenter.

Latest posts

Back