Duttos off topic ramblings thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today, I give you Boris's groundwork for when his minions fail to produce the much needed houses that are required to stop the housing shortage in Britain.

It's from today's BBC News which states:

"The Prime Minister has been accused of inventing an allegation that wildlife rules are holding back house-building.

In his recent speech on job creation, Boris Johnson said: 'Newt-counting delays are a massive drag on the prosperity of this country.'

But environmental groups say the allegation is a political trick with no basis in fact.

And BBC News has been unable to find recent evidence that wildlife surveys are unduly delaying development."

So, yet again, Boris is lying for his own long-term political ends; which are:
  1. To blame environmentalists for Tory failures. OR
  2. To scrap the requirement for builders to carry out Environmental Surveys!
:mad: :mad:

A man walks into a bar with a newt on his shoulder.

The bartender says “What an interesting pet, whats his name?”

“Tiny” the man replies.

“What an odd name, why do you call him Tiny?”

The man replies - “Because he’s my newt”

Neighbour of mine purchased a plot of land in the village I used to live in. It was late September (nothing to do with Rod Stewart). He put in for planning for a detached house. At the preliminary phase he was told that he had to have a newt survey performed, but only had until mid October to get it done. Thereafter newts are in hibernation. The alternative was to wait until April the following year, when they are known to be active again.

I reckon Boris had got 3 months to get his ar$e in gear and start counting newts.

Really, where did you get your latest sweeping statement from?

I get mine from French friends of 30+ years who look at what is happening and keep shaking their head and asking "Why?"

They are particularly shocked by the fact that we can't afford many types of seafood in the UK, but when we are in France we regularly buy Langoustines, Monkfish and Scallops that are shipped over from the UK!

I've honestly never seen a live Langoustine for sale in the UK, but in France almost every supermarket has them sometime during the week; and they are marked "Product of Scotland"!

BTW, remember how we will "take control of our fishing industry on January 1st 2021"?

Er ... we will, except for the percentage of our quota that has already been sold by English fishermen to people on the Continent! Apparently this is currently over 50% and attempting to re-allocate the ownership will result in the UK Government being sued for millions if Euros!

It isn't just Coronavirus that this Government is screwing up!

Down the wormhole we go @Dutto

1594190707025.jpeg

I get mine from French friends of 30+ years who look at what is happening and keep shaking their head and asking "Why?"

They are particularly shocked by the fact that we can't afford many types of seafood in the UK, but when we are in France we regularly buy Langoustines, Monkfish and Scallops that are shipped over from the UK!

I've honestly never seen a live Langoustine for sale in the UK, but in France almost every supermarket has them sometime during the week; and they are marked "Product of Scotland"!

BTW, remember how we will "take control of our fishing industry on January 1st 2021"?

Er ... we will, except for the percentage of our quota that has already been sold by English fishermen to people on the Continent! Apparently this is currently over 50% and attempting to re-allocate the ownership will result in the UK Government being sued for millions if Euros!

It isn't just Coronavirus that this Government is screwing up!
Par for the course re price differential, we export gas to Japan far cheaper than we can buy it for, same with lamb, lamb shanks used to be for the dog now they are expensive. I would bet you could buy lamb cheaper in the UK than we can here.
Steel is expensive here, before China started buying all the iron ore it was dirt cheap, just a case of supply and demand. If I was Gina Rinehart I would be selling to the highest bidder also.
Don't know about the UK government being sued, where is this information reported?

I must admit the planning laws do make things hard, even though I can understand the importance of protecting wildlife.

I had a customer who had to have a bat survey done, as his house was believed to be on a bat flight path. cost of said survey: £10,000.

Don't know about the UK government being sued, where is this information reported?

Please read the following article which explains the current allocation of Fishing Quotas for the UK ...

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/future-relationship-fisheries
I quote:

"UK quotas can also be sold to non-UK companies. The UK also allows fishers to sell their vessels and the attached quota on to others, including non-UK nationals – for example, over 90% of the UK’s quota for herring in certain parts of the North Sea is held by vessels owned by EU companies.[2] This practice, called ‘quota hopping’, is also one of the causes of UK fishers’ unhappiness with the EU system."

A lot of the Fishing Quota was bought when there was very little allocation of stocks. The best example being that of Cod which almost became extinct in the North Sea and the quota was reduced to almost nothing.

At this time, a lot of the English quota was sold to non-UK companies. It was bought legally so if the UK Government now attempts to remove this quota from non-UK companies, the Government would (quite rightly) be sued for the loss.

This is another take on the matter from Greenpeace.

http://www.marinet.org.uk/who-owns-the-uk-fishing-industry-and-its-fishing-quotas.html
I quote:

"In England, around half (49%) of fishing quota is held by Dutch, Icelandic and Spanish companies, with a further 30% owned by English and Scottish Rich List families.

More than half (53%) of England’s fishing quota is in the hands of just three companies."

Do you believe that these people will suddenly allow the UK Government to redistribute their quota? :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

Rather than panicking about building new houses how about filling all the empty properties, penalise those who leave their “investments” unoccupied and derelict and impose a hefty tax on second home and holiday home owners who make plenty of rural and coastal communities unaffordable for those that were born there.

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/the...n-england-to-meet-72-of-the-new-homes-target/
https://www.insider.com/inside-london-billionaires-row-property-interactive-2019-11

Moving jobs away from London would be a big help too, hopefully with companies realising their usually office based employees can work just as effectively from home this will start to happen.

Latest posts

Back