Dry hopping idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked my Pink Grapefruit IPA into a bottling bucket yesterday, and because I’m going to force carbonate in a Corny keg (over 2 weeks) I decided to add finings.
I used my self priming syphon tube with the Festival small mesh bag over the end.
Because I had used the hop bag (as described above) there was very little hop debris to clog the bag . However as the ale began syphoning it drew lots of air through with it - presumably air was drawn in through the rubber gasket in the auto syphon. I noticed that the same thing happened when I made my first brew, a Munton Gold IPA. At the time I thought it was co2 escaping the ale, but I now think it is air drawn in. The Munton IPA is destined to be poured down the sink, which I had put down to hot fermentation temperature but now thinking it might be oxygenation. Anyone else experienced this with the auto siphon?
I‘m now going to use a fermenter with draw off tap in future so I don’t have to siphon. I will attach the Festival bag to the bottom of the tube to catch any hop debris inside it. The Blichmann beer gun arrived today but I need to get a stainless conical fermenter with an adjustable racking arm. My wife thinks I’m making cheap beer!!
The Pink Grapefruit IPA tasted really good and I’ll be very disappointed if it is ruined. I went to great lengths to keep fermentation temperature constant and I thought I was being careful with racking - I purged the bottling bucket with CO2.
Still, it’s a learning curve!

I racked my Pink Grapefruit IPA into a bottling bucket yesterday, and because I’m going to force carbonate in a Corny keg (over 2 weeks) I decided to add finings.
I used my self priming syphon tube with the Festival small mesh bag over the end.
Because I had used the hop bag (as described above) there was very little hop debris to clog the bag . However as the ale began syphoning it drew lots of air through with it - presumably air was drawn in through the rubber gasket in the auto syphon. I noticed that the same thing happened when I made my first brew, a Munton Gold IPA. At the time I thought it was co2 escaping the ale, but I now think it is air drawn in. The Munton IPA is destined to be poured down the sink, which I had put down to hot fermentation temperature but now thinking it might be oxygenation. Anyone else experienced this with the auto siphon?
I‘m now going to use a fermenter with draw off tap in future so I don’t have to siphon. I will attach the Festival bag to the bottom of the tube to catch any hop debris inside it. The Blichmann beer gun arrived today but I need to get a stainless conical fermenter with an adjustable racking arm. My wife thinks I’m making cheap beer!!
The Pink Grapefruit IPA tasted really good and I’ll be very disappointed if it is ruined. I went to great lengths to keep fermentation temperature constant and I thought I was being careful with racking - I purged the bottling bucket with CO2.
Still, it’s a learning curve!
I've had the same issue with the auto syphon. These days I never use a bag over the end. Just chuck the hops in loose, then cold crash before bottling or kegging. Never have a problem with getting hop matter drawn into the syphon.

I've had the same issue with the auto syphon. These days I never use a bag over the end. Just chuck the hops in loose, then cold crash before bottling or kegging. Never have a problem with getting hop matter drawn into the syphon.
Unfortunately I don’t have a facility to cold crash and the bag has worked very well. I will be selling the auto siphon as I will never use it again!

This is the first time I've used one, and the only downside is had to buy a "tube stop" thing to stop the flow, other than that, it does kinda create an air pocket where the bulb is, not an air pocket as such that stops the flow but rather enough for it to kinda aerate a little if that makes sense. Other than that, I only used it for the very bottom say last 8 bottles as you seen from the pics with the hops. Looking forward to trying it on the full batch.

p.s oh and a couple of them things for attaching it to the side of the fermenter.

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

Back