Cooper Brew a IPA - stuck at 1022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vergil300

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Similar to my last post about Northern Deadringer IPA...
I sized up and got a 25ltr FV, used Cooper's Brew a IPA can kit with 1kg of Cooper's Enhancer 2, packet yeast.
We are on day 10 now and have a fine krausen ring, yeast cake etc. No bubbling, but didnt notice a huge amount anyway.
The OG was 1067, I've now been at 1022 for 2 days... are we done? seems high... worried about over cabonation but that's 6% ABV...

Anyone made this combination before and know what FG to expect?

Cheers,

G

Just checked my hydrometer and it's sitting bang on 1.000 in water...
Not sure if this makes a difference but I'm taking the sample out the tap on the FV, should I be taking from top?

Oh and on your other question, I filled to 18 litres. I might have misread the OG to be fair (should have wrote it down)

Just checked my hydrometer and it's sitting bang on 1.000 in water...
Not sure if this makes a difference but I'm taking the sample out the tap on the FV, should I be taking from top?
I always take mine from the tap, no need to open the lid that way.
Oh and on your other question, I filled to 18 litres. I might have misread the OG to be fair (should have wrote it down)
Ah, that's why then, at those gravity readings your going to get 5.9% ABV so happy days, just check it again tomorrow maybe.

Really done at 1022?! HBW on Youtube done the same batch (with added hops) and got 1055 -> 1012...

Really done at 1022?! HBW on Youtube done the same batch (with added hops) and got 1055 -> 1012...
Yeah but if you think about what you put in your original post "OG 1.067" which is 12 points higher than HBW and your FG is 10 points higher than HBW at 1.022 it's around the same.

Yeah good point @Banbeer, it is. So any reason why mines is essentally 10 out? with my hydrometer reading water ok...

Yeah, you brewed 18L instead of 23L therefore there was more malt in the brew, giving a higher density (gravity) at the start, you only had the same amount of fermentables as you would for a 23L brew so once the yeasties had scoffed all the fermentables that's it, fermentation over. As I said give it another day and then check the gravity and if it's still 1.022 then it's time to package (bottle/keg). If you like a hoppy IPA then you will need to dry hop this.

Thanks @Banbeer, I think HBW done 18/20 as well... I'll leave it a bit. Yeah was wanting to add hops but struggling to get them just now for a decent price... I do have a some pelettes lying around, not alot but Was just going to bottle it.

Got down to 1021 today...
Added some nutrient and give it a stir, hopefully get a few points down in the next few days

Back