Come on - Fess up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who gets complacent on sanitation?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Who gets complacent on sanitation?

I would bet there are 3 different levels.

1) Complusive do everything all the time.

2) Half and half probably started off as 1) but having had no issues maybe take a few short cuts now.

3) Still rinse and use boiled water but having had no issues not too worried about the whole thing.

I am a bit lazy I do sanitise my fermentor by which I mean I make up five litres of no rinse sanitiser swirl it round and drain. It probably helps that I then put the boiling wort straight into the fermentor which probably does a pretty good job of killing anything in there.

As for bottles I tend to run them through the dishwasher on high and then bottle, I have had to tip the odd batch but I think this has being down to fermenting at too high a temperature rather than infection.

Personally I sanitise the FV and everything that will fit in it. I also do all the bottles. I will give the boiler/Brewzilla a nice clean after using.

I have a spray bottle of diluted Star San for little bits and pieces that might crop up like if I want to use a sieve at some point - but I'm not paranoid about it all.

I may rely on starsan a bit too much. I rarely bleach/vwp/pbw and tend to bother the bottles with a good brushing while filled with starsan.

Occasionally sense gets the better of me and I do some sort of deep clean.

U need some sort of cleaning- sanitize situation
I always use starsan on everything

I would like to know is it possible to just do a general clean and rinse
And then brew in FV or bottle with no problem
Any proof any experience in this

I would like to know is it possible to just do a general clean and rinse
And then brew in FV or bottle with no problem
Any proof any experience in this
I suspect 9 times out of 10 you would get away with this, as I understand it yeast pretty quickly creates a fairly hostile environment for many microbes, The thing is since no rinse sanitiser is cheap, and easy to use I’m not really willing to risk it to save a few minutes and pennies.

I have to do so many courses per year to keep up various professional memberships and insurance. I end up on some pretty in depth courses around bacteria and the like. It’s made me very careful with the brewing. Admittedly, until now, I’ve only done malt extract kits, but all the same once it’s in your brain, it nags at you!

I was only thinking about posting a very topic 2 days ago.
my routine us as follows.
fermenters
As soon as I’ve emptied it I wash out and clean with a sponge scourer. (One if the cheap ones where the green scrubbing bit is still quite soft and not really abrasive. I only use water.
I tip upside down and let dry.
when I come to making a new batch I sterilise with starsan. Every other brew I’ll strip the tap apart. But I do flush fresh water through it when cleaning and starsan when sterilising.
Kegs
Rinse out with hose jet. Pressurise and Flush through pipe and tap.
same with starsan before filling.

Latest posts

Back