Co2 carbonation - Fridge temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

I have no way to pressure ferment, for a few years now I simply ferment in plastic bucket or the heater controlled Kegland bucket buddy.

Straight into a corny keg (no pressure transfer), 12psi of Co2 in circa 12 degrees of ambient temperature. Purged a few times, then left for 2 weeks before moving the keg to a fridge.

Fridge at around 4 degrees and gas line around 6-8 psi for serving pressure.

This has been brilliant, no cold crash and served me well.

My issue is summer, ambient temperatures rise and leave the corny keg in a very unstable temperature state during carbonation.

I can fit a corny keg into my fridge, but not my bucket buddy. Plus I need the fridge for dispense.

If I rack into corny keg, add Co2 and place into the fridge it will cold crash. Co2 absorption will greatly differ, am I best starting at 12 psi and leaving for a few days or calculating at the carb temperature for 4 degrees which is around 8psi.

Anyone with a similar setup I would be keen to know their experiences on the matter.

Cheers brewers

🍺

What I've done in the past is cold crash, transfer to the corny and then force carbonate - 20 psi, rock it about until the pressure has dropped to below 10, then repeat 3-4 times. You can gauge when to stop as the pressure doesn't drop when you're rocking the keg.

If your FV doesn't fit the fridge then transfer into the corny to cold crash.

Some people don't like the concept of force carbonation but it works.

Cheers @Twostage

Do you just leave for 24hrs to cold crash and purge with some co2 to clear any remaining oxygen in the corny

I usually have a temp probe in the beer so I know when its down to target and I leave it for a few days. Probably not essential.

Yes, I purge several times, you seem to have a handle on that so I omitted the step.

When I use the force carbonation method I start drinking it straight away after reducing the pressure to serving pressure.

I usually have a temp probe in the beer so I know when its down to target and I leave it for a few days. Probably not essential.

Yes, I purge several times, you seem to have a handle on that so I omitted the step.

When I use the force carbonation method I start drinking it straight away after reducing the pressure to serving pressure.
Cheers, placed in the fridge to crash and carb.

Looking forward to seeing if a notice any difference to my standard approach

Cheers, placed in the fridge to crash and carb.

Looking forward to seeing if a notice any difference to my standard approach
Speed is the biggest difference. My technique for the ‘rock’ was to rest the top end of the corny on my foot and lift/slosh with the help of the foot. You can actually hear the CO2 going into the beer. Keep the gas side of the corny uppermost.

Latest posts

Back