Can I release keg pressure.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glove81

Reaction score
Hi all, just went to have a taste test of the Christmas brew in my youngs 5gl pressure barrel.

Whoosh, beer all over the place as a foamy mess erupted from the tap. Can I release some pressure to calm down the pour, it's totally unmanageable at the moment.

Would you loosen the top or ease the keg on its side and open tap to exhaust some of the gas.

Thanks.

On the good side I think that you are confident that you have got a good seal. Need to know what type/make of barrel it is
Im thinking its a Wilko type barrel as opposed to a KK

Did you prime when adding the beer to the keg?
You have a good PB that doesn't leak. Therefore the secondary fermentation pressure will build up.
I have just tapped a PB that was at 10psi and this was too frothy. (secondary ferment only).
The froth will reduce s the pressure reduces in the PB, but you may need extra C02injection to stop it going flat ( unless, like me , you drink it first)

Without trying not to bore everyone. Weather,temp/ atmospheric conditions will also take part
Atmosphreic conditions might seem a little strange .....but this is my thinking..Your barrel is a sealed unit..it has a positive pressure, if the pressure outside drops then you will not get as much beer from your barrel. Prof Stephen Hawkins could explain it better, but Id put it down to the fact that you have a, over-primed ,b not fully fermented out. Just ry to realease the gas slowly

If your tap is either "off" or "on" spraying beer everywhere, try pouring a little boiling water over the tap to lossen it, Once you've poured a few beers the pressure will drop

Tap and cap are holding well. It was just the blast of spray and wasted beer that concerned me along with the fact I may not be able to drink it if I can't pour it.

You will get a bit of a spray at first as the pressure will be quite high. This should reduce as you draw off the beer and increase the free gas volume, which will reduce gas pressure. You may have to introduce CO2 pressure as you draw off the beer.

Latest posts

Back