Brewzilla Gen 4 advice and experiences

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and no. I decided to just set the boil point, got it boiling and updated calibration point 2 to 100c. I think, though, I should have done a lower temp too (as point 1) because when it cooled the reported temp was different to the BT probe so I'm going to do a proper calibration setting.
Best do a cold fill. Let temperature stabelise - till internal and BT probe readings stop changing, then set CAL1 point (to match BT reading).

I bought a grain bag for BZ gen 4...question: put it outside the grain basket or inside the grain basket....thanks
Haven't tried myself, but came across recent post on this.
He said outside, so bag only has to catch a few escaped husks + flour.
After removing malt pipe, he puts boil hops in the bag, better efficiency than spider & one less thing to clean. But didn't say if he emptied any husks first (to avoid risk of astringincy from tannin extraction).

I have a Brewzilla gen 4... I want to do BIAB... no sparging............should I consider the dead space below the false bottom?

Last edited:
clog the pump and tap

Ah. I re-plumbed the pump before first use following the Kegland instructions (took about 5 minutes) and haven't had an issue with the pump.

I had a blocked tap the first time I no-chilled which I cured by blowing up the tap. I now wait until the temp has dropped bit and the trub has started to settle and run off a bit of the trub whilst its still fluid and haven't had a problem since.

I must have been lucky so far I have had no issues with the pump at all. I would say though that the pump is not particularly powerful though. What I have found with my limited use of the Bz 35L I have is there is next to no sludge in the bottom of the boiler after I have transferred the wort to the Fermenter using the wort recirculation arm. I use a course crush and think this may be the reason why. My advice increase the gap on you mill to avoid the pump getting clogged up.

Trituração com água cheia...sem borrifo..Tipo BIAB..é necessário considerar o espaço morto sob a cesta ?

Last edited:
I amtou
Ah. I re-plumbed the pump before first use following the Kegland instructions (took about 5 minutes) and haven't had an issue with the pump.

I had a blocked tap the first time I no-chilled which I cured by blowing up the tap. I now wait until the temp has dropped bit and the trub has started to settle and run off a bit of the trub whilst its still fluid and haven't had a problem since.
Touching wood but I during the three brews so far have not had an issue with the pump, other than it being maybe a bit underpowered. Would you say that the pump tubing mod is worth the while? It is odd but I have had very little trub past the bottom screen so far could be my course grind and that I use a hop spider? I have just bought a boiler extender so next brew I will be able to give it welly on the initial boil without fear of a boil over.

I amtou

Touching wood but I during the three brews so far have not had an issue with the pump, other than it being maybe a bit underpowered. Would you say that the pump tubing mod is worth the while? It is odd but I have had very little trub past the bottom screen so far could be my course grind and that I use a hop spider? I have just bought a boiler extender so next brew I will be able to give it welly on the initial boil without fear of a boil over.

It’s really quick to do the re-plumb. My logic was that the instructions told you how to do it and there were reports of blockages.

Having said that, if you haven’t had any problems I’d leave it.

I amtou

Forgot to add on my previous post it will be interesting to hear your experience of the extension.

Mind you, I’m actually doing smaller batches, running out of bottle storage space ashock1

Forgot to add on my previous post it will be interesting to hear your experience of the extension.

Mind you, I’m actually doing smaller batches, running out of bottle storage space ashock1

The extender for me was a must. I do 25L batches as a rule and pre boil I was within 3 to 4 cm from the rim. The extender will allow a really vigourous starting boil at 100% after 30 mins I can throttle it back to 75 - 80% and not need to worry about boil overs. Bigger volumes also possible so for 55€ I am happy.

I don't really get it.

Why is it dead space anyhow? Surely it is only dead if you can get it out?
It’s only really dead space in relation to water volume calculations.
My system has a dead space of 10 litres below the grain basket ( which is recoverable) and if I don’t take this into account the mash will be much too thick causing all sorts of issues.

E
My system has a dead space of 10 litres below the grain basket ( which is recoverable) and if I don’t take this into account the mash will be much too thick causing all sorts of issues.
Exactly it is not a difficult concept to comprehend. It is a bit like malt grains having dead space however that volume is none recoverable.

So that's not dead space either? It's a mandatory part of the mash. Is it not just "required liquor vol" or "minimum fill" ?

Surely it's only "dead" if it is not recirculated or does not form part of the finished beer.

For example: an unmodified BM20 has a real dead space of about 2 litres 'cos the OEM tap Is too high and original recipes allow for this to be left behind. Hence why there are several mods that solve this issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back