Brewing outside in low temperatures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatscold

Reaction score
I’m a time poor home brewer, but I have time to brew this week, but I brew outside and can’t get the motivation with it being so cold.

Anyone brewing outside in the uk at the moment?

I’m a time poor home brewer, but I have time to brew this week, but I brew outside and can’t get the motivation with it being so cold.

Anyone brewing outside in the uk at the moment?
I brew in my garage which has an ambient temperature of 3C

Bit like brewing in a fridge

I wrap my fv in a carpet, have a heat pad and heat belt

I am amazed how different the temperature can be at the top from that at the bottom of the fv

Temperature control can be challenging

Put your long johns and woolly hat on (at least) and man person up

I brew outdoors all year round with just a pergola and some plastic sheeting to provide cover from wind and rain. I was out there when it was just 3 degrees on Saturday. One positive over summer brewing is the immersion chiller works a treat!

A25FFFCA-60A4-430D-B8E2-8236C78BEF82.jpeg

I brewed outside today, it was a degree or two above freezing. I use a Braumeister so most of the time I can leave it unattended, but I have want my thermal base layer today.

Brewed in the garage today with the door wide open. Only started AG a few months back. Was pleased with how the Mash Tun held temperature mind 👍🏻.
Brew on gas so was kept fairly warm throughout the boil.

When I struggling to get to a boil when using my old Burco boiler, I started splitting my brew day by mashing one day and then boiling at lunchtime the next day when it was (in theory) warmer than early evening. I found doing this was less stressful too as I wasn't clearing up in the dark and cold.

I did a brew on Monday, started at 1000 so I could be cleaning up with some sunlight left, was fine. Struggled a little to maintain mash temperatures, but 3500W Buffalo induction hob boiled 29l down to 22l over an hour just fine.

Brewed yesterday on the patio, was quite nice day, no wind - but it was around 3 degrees. I was thinking about postponing it, but as I had a starter on the stir plate, I couldn't really. Most was fine, cleaning was very cold and I had to clean some of the equipment in the kitchen - wife wasn't too pleased.
Beer is now in the fermentation fridge, in the shed, at 12 degrees - German Altbier

Back