blackcurrant cider WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisgill

Reaction score
Hi all,

Great recipe here for blackcurrant cider.

Tasted today only 4 days after bottling and im amazed!

3.5/4l tesco value AJ
750ml blackcurrant ribene (sugar free)
Wilko wine yeast

Thats it!!

I bottled after about 2 weeks and didnt rack into another DJ as last time i didnt get much fizz and put it down to clearing too much.

I back carbed with 5g or 1 tsp of std sugar and back sweetened with the same amount of xyliyol.

Cracked one open this even and its fantastic, sweet, smooth, lightly carbed but shud get better in the coming days, and more importantly very very easy to drink.

Came out at around 5.6% but you wouldnt think it when drinking, just very fruity!

Sounds like a good recipe. :) Did you do anything to the Ribena to make sure preservatives didn't inhibit the brew?

You need to boil the Ribena to kill off the presevatives.

I've made this myself, but due to forgetting about it and being stupidly busy, it's been sitting in the fermenting bucket for 2 and a half months. Need to getbit bottled today really.

Glad you enjoyed it, fingers crossed for mine!

We have used Blackcurrant juice before but you need to boil before use but try fresh currents they work better even the reds :party:

Sorry its taken so long to reply but NO i did not boil or do anything to thevridena to remove the potassium sorbate and had no issues what so ever! I read after making the brew about the issues related to preservative but i think the amount present in the recipe in comparison to the apple juice is so minimal it didnt make a differnece, in fact it was quite an aggresive fermentation!

krazypara3165 if you dont like your cider really sweet then ease off on the sweetener maybe half a teaspoon

Get it done luffy, you will not regret it! Ive only got the 1 FV and tjats in use with a summer fruits cider as we speak and when thats done this recipe is going back on!

Latest posts

Back