Beer bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bench capper would be much better if all my bottles were the same size, but I use such a mixture of sizes that I'll be sticking to my double lever hand capper.

Oh & yes, I find some particular types of bottles are more prone to breaking at the neck when capping. I had half (3) bottles recycled from one of those 6 pack Xmas gift boxes snap on me over 3 consecutive brews last year, but I'm putting it down to that style/batch of bottles being unsuitable.

My bottles are all different sizes too.
Before I fill the bottles I arrange them in height order.
I need to adjust the height 3 or 4 times during a bottling session.

It's still far easier and faster for me than a double lever

I don't know if this is necessary but after I do the first clamp down with my bench capper I give the bottles a couple of spins, repeating the prcoess, before I move onto the next one, so that I have capped it from three different angles. Just in case the capper naturally tends to exert the force in one area/direction... probably overkill but it hasn't failed yet so 🤷‍♂️

I always turn 90 deg (just once) and do it again, with a lever capper. I think it's worthwhile. Seems good practice, anyway.

green.jpeg

Anyway, I don't mind bottling. I know some people think it's a PITA, but I find it quite satisfying. Mind you, I don't do massive batches, so that's part of it. I reckon these bad boys took me about a couple of hours start to finish, including sanitising bottles and clearing away.

Most of my swing-tops are clear glass, and I tend to save them for bitters etc. That batch is oatmeal stout. No point in putting them in clear bottles (bar one, maybe).

I used “Flip-top” bottles to:
  • Stop having to cap bottles.
  • Move up to 650ml (after capping a few dozen 330ml bottles).
  • Store long-term brews
But mainly I moved over to 25 and 10 litre kegs (much easier to fill) and finally 10 litre SS kegs with a CO2 pressurisation system (Sodastream) and a tap (much easier to empty).​
:beer1::beer1:

Enjoy!​

Back