BBQ.... REPLACEMENT REQ!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current BBQ was a Jamie Oliver branded which was originally priced at around £600 but the Mrs got it for under half price in a sale. It's been good but has totally burnt away inside...parts are virtually impossible to get. I'd like something a bit more sturdy.

A chimney starter and good lumpwood gets up to temp as quickly as gas.
But I'm completely the wrong person to ask, I cook on charcoal or wood all year round, including Christmas dinner!
I agree - most people get this barbecuing thing wrong

They barbecue when the weather is hot and so make themselves even hotter when they cook

The best day for a barbecue is when it's windy and raining - so the chef does get too hot and it stops the food from burning

I don't do Christmas dinner on my real proper charcoal BBQ (no whimpy gas substitutes) but our Boxing day meal as well as our new year's eve dinner is always barbecued

Fog is also good for a barbecue

Yeah, that looks like it's virtually done Clint.

A BBQ is a BBQ in my mind, gas or not. If you're using it all the time charcoal is going to be a faff. I've tried using wood chips on my gas one but all I had was a load of noise off the wife and kids saying it stinks and all that. So much so I'm not sure if the wood chips made a difference in the end as my head was gone.

Anyhow, as for recommendations I can't help, but my B&Q special had been sat outside for several unused years until about 2 months ago and a rub with wire wool and wet and dry and it came up a treat.

Have you had a look at Napoleon BBQs?

https://www.napoleon.com/en/uk/barb...-xt-series/rogue-xt-425-sib-rxt425sibpss-1-gb
Speaking to a ex-Weber rep last year, the quality of Weber products has dropped considerably over recent years. Could be worth a trip to your nearest garden centre stockist to check this out for yourself.

I bought a Napoleon back in 2018 and have used it almost every week since some rain or shine. The thing is built like a tank, fully stainless steel with cast iron grates. Two of my friends have since had them and are reporting good things.

You should be able to get a bargain as well this time of year, unless covid has changed things. Bbqworld.com is where i had my R425SB from. Doesn’t look like they’ve got any side burner variants in stock at the moment.

if it's only for one person:

https://www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/...TfCehkx8aZR7AJutPV9V2F8PFTI9_HfxoCzjYQAvD_BwE
we've got one of these, it's BRILLIANT! and to echo others....it's a proper BBQ ;)

get a charcoal starter and you're away. Yes it'll take longer than gas...but that's just an outside oven...may as well build a canopy, and put a proper kitchen oven in, still be cheaper than some of these you see!

or...spend £100 on the little weber

This is our mid week BBQ, we use it in cold evenings if we fancy a BBQ, stick the fire on, get the BBQ going and we're away.....that being said the wife likes curry....have you thought about replacing the wife? might be easier hahaha

Just finally tipped my Weber this summer after 16 years of faithful service. Although I love my charcoal BBQ like @Clint I would use the Weber in all weathers - really missing it for chargrilling a quick steak at this time of year. Have found that heating up a few coals in one of those charcoal starters does make for an efficient one person BBQ - takes a minute to set the thing going, go inside season steak, 20 minutes later tip coals out and grill but it is getting a bit dark and wet now to be effing about with that.

if it's only for one person:

https://www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/...TfCehkx8aZR7AJutPV9V2F8PFTI9_HfxoCzjYQAvD_BwE
we've got one of these, it's BRILLIANT! and to echo others....it's a proper BBQ ;)

get a charcoal starter and you're away. Yes it'll take longer than gas...but that's just an outside oven...may as well build a canopy, and put a proper kitchen oven in, still be cheaper than some of these you see!

or...spend £100 on the little weber

This is our mid week BBQ, we use it in cold evenings if we fancy a BBQ, stick the fire on, get the BBQ going and we're away.....that being said the wife likes curry....have you thought about replacing the wife? might be easier hahaha

Flipping internet now "need" one of these and not bought anything online yet today....

Flipping internet now "need" one of these and not bought anything online yet today....

haha we love it! it's the same Weber quality, like you, my kettle BBQ has been outside for the last 4 years and doesn't look anything but brand new, it's just a little big for evening BBQs, this little one is loads more expensive than others you'll find but it's brilliant - in fact we tend to use it alongside the main BBQ for kebabs (which are always a pain on the kettle) and when Kebabs are done, it's a handy side unit to start the next batch of coals. BRILLIANT bit of kit.

Also on BBQ chat, albeit off topic from the OP, my charcoal kettle BBQ is an Outback and it is a pretty well made bit of kit with 4 grilling areas, very sturdy etc. Got it at a snip from Dobbies garden centre when they had a sale on. Was really disappointed when I got there as they had sold out but they did have a display model. Started haggling with the manageress over the price but she didn't have the authority to budge - in the end I thought, what am I doing here that's probably 4 or 5 man hours for me to put one of those together - if you can find two strong lads to carry it out to the motor I'll have it!

Have you had a look at Napoleon BBQs?

https://www.napoleon.com/en/uk/barb...-xt-series/rogue-xt-425-sib-rxt425sibpss-1-gb
Speaking to a ex-Weber rep last year, the quality of Weber products has dropped considerably over recent years. Could be worth a trip to your nearest garden centre stockist to check this out for yourself.

I bought a Napoleon back in 2018 and have used it almost every week since some rain or shine. The thing is built like a tank, fully stainless steel with cast iron grates. Two of my friends have since had them and are reporting good things.

You should be able to get a bargain as well this time of year, unless covid has changed things. Bbqworld.com is where i had my R425SB from. Doesn’t look like they’ve got any side burner variants in stock at the moment.

I don't own one but I do plan to get a decent gas BBQ when we've landscaped our garden (don't worry I'll have charcoal as well!), Napoleon would be my first choice.

View attachment 35401
Hello all
Today I decided to replace some bits on my dying BBQ....and have a bit if a scratch at it...seems like it's knackered! I had some new flame shields to fit as the others had burnt away...
I've patched the hole with some bits of the old flame shields,cleaned it up and fitted the new bits... amazingly it all works!!View attachment 35401View attachment 35402
But....I will need a new one. It gets used probably every week,rain or shine.
Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Weber Genesis 11 at the moment but open to suggestions. Must have a side burner!!
Cheers
Clint
I’ve got a Weber genesis that I bought when I lived in Canada. I had to adjust the jets when I moved back here in order to get it to work properly. Theyre expensive but worth it. I’ve had mine 9 years and still going strong.

I've got several BBQs, but all are fuelled by charcoal. Love outdoor cooking, but (sorry Clint) can't see the point in cooking outdoors on gas. Here's one of my BBQs, only used for big get-togethers so hasn't been used this year 😔
IMG_20201112_155320206.jpg

I do like cooking on coal but it's a convenience thing for me...and due to the small amounts I cook regularly. Like today....I BBQ'd two skewers of lamb..then made my curry on the side burner...a major factor also is Mrs Clint's non liking of curry and it's associated smell,prep and mess...she really doesn't like it! Outside it doesn't matter on that respect...plus it's all part of my "night"...no change in over 20 years...like I said..rain or shine...or snow..I can go out there spark it up and I'm happy!

Anyway....I've decided...it's gonna be the Weber Genesis 11....the 335 premium is the same size as I have now...and a few hundred cheaper than the 435 I thought I needed...just gonna wait and see what any sales turn up..

Latest posts

Back