Barrel ageing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crozier

Reaction score
Any tips for barrel ageing?

I'm fermenting a 30 bottle Merlot and I'm considering purchasing an oak barrel for ageing before transferring to bottles. I'll probably lose about a litre in racking but the first question is: what size barrel? I can order a 20 litre barrel and just go straight to bottles for the remaining amount that doesn't fit in the barrel. Or I can order a 30 litre barrel and fit it all in, but I'm worried about maturing with all that air overhead.

I think that both the wine, and your barrel, benefit from filling to the top. Wine because of oxidation, and the barrel because the entire barrel volume will stay wet and not dry out. Plus if the remainder gets bottled, you have two different versions of the same wine to compare later. And you'll have some to be able to top off the small angel's share that will be lost over time. Thirdly, if you happen to over-oak the wine, you'll have some of the un-oaked wine that you can blend back into it.

Well, 20 litre barrel ordered. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes but likely to be a few weeks before racking, settling and filtering into barrel.

Barrel prices on web seem to vary widely and there seem to be a load of far eastern variants that look a bit iffy. You can spot these as they all seem to use a plastic tap that screws into the a plastic spigot in the barrel. Just guessing, but I don't think that's classic cooperage. After much searching, these guys seem to have the best deal https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/oakbarrelsltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 . I'll ratify this once I've taken delivery.

So, taken delivery of one oak barrel and so impressed I ordered another. I've used a Buon Vino mini jet filter, after two rackings, to filter and polish a Beaverdale Merlot into one prepared barrel and now I'm waiting on a second batch of Cab Sauv to settle before doing the same into the second barrel. Pic shows two barrels stacked on a cradle I rigged up.
20191102_122939.jpg

The barrels actually have a capacity of 22 litre,s so with losses from racking etc, they are just the right size for 30 bottle kits. The barrels do need prepared before introducing the wine. I first rinsed thoroughly and then added a sterilising solution with hot water and left for about an hour. Then rinsed again before being filled to the brim and left for about 48 hours. During this time the barrel absorbs water and needs topped up. When you no longer need to do this the barrel is ready. I've found them to be leak proof, but you do get a small amount of staining due to osmosis from the bung, which is in contact with the wine if the barrel is full to the top, as it should be.

First taste of the merlot after only a few weeks is very favourable indeed without being too 'oaky'. More details as things progress.

So, taken delivery of one oak barrel and so impressed I ordered another. I've used a Buon Vino mini jet filter, after two rackings, to filter and polish a Beaverdale Merlot into one prepared barrel and now I'm waiting on a second batch of Cab Sauv to settle before doing the same into the second barrel. Pic shows two barrels stacked on a cradle I rigged up.
View attachment 21306

The barrels actually have a capacity of 22 litre,s so with losses from racking etc, they are just the right size for 30 bottle kits. The barrels do need prepared before introducing the wine. I first rinsed thoroughly and then added a sterilising solution with hot water and left for about an hour. Then rinsed again before being filled to the brim and left for about 48 hours. During this time the barrel absorbs water and needs topped up. When you no longer need to do this the barrel is ready. I've found them to be leak proof, but you do get a small amount of staining due to osmosis from the bung, which is in contact with the wine if the barrel is full to the top, as it should be.

First taste of the merlot after only a few weeks is very favourable indeed without being too 'oaky'. More details as things progress.
Hi Crozier, I’m interested in buying an oak barrel, you’ve had yours for a while now and would have time to evaluate it’s quality and the effectiveness on your wine, could you give me an update thanks William

Back