Any website have pressure barrels in stock ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am incredibly busy at work at the moment but have looked when I get chance.

Really looking for one or two pressure barrels to put the fermented ale in but just about everywhere is out of stock or asking silly prices.

It's not urgent but has anyone come across anything decent in the last week or so?

Thanks.

Am incredibly busy at work at the moment but have looked when I get chance.

Really looking for one or two pressure barrels to put the fermented ale in but just about everywhere is out of stock or asking silly prices.

It's not urgent but has anyone come across anything decent in the last week or so?

Thanks.
Where you at the cat? I've got 2 in SE London that I can't even give away

If you have money to waste, please send it my way wink... I bought my first one a couple of months back. When I say it didn't last, I mean it never saw a drop of beer. Before use I pressure tested and found a leak in the shell. Got a refund and decided not to bother. I put the refund towards a corny. I appreciate they're not for everyone but even if a pb lasts 2 years, by the time I have replaced it I could have bought a corny that will last a lifetime.
EDIT: Or stick with bottles as you have said.

Hmm maybe I will go for more bottles then :)

Thanks all as always

Don’t be so hasty. Half an hour of faff preparing a King Keg once vs a couple of hours of faff EVERY brew on bottling!

I have 9 King Kegs on the go at any time and have no issues whatever. I do agree that some of the cheaper kegs are asking for trouble.

Don't waste your money. They are more trouble than they are worth. Their only virtue is when they fail they can be recycled.
Having had chance to read more on the internet I think your advice is probably the best for a novice such as myself thanks.

I have loads of room to store dozens of bottles so I will stick to that for now. I don't mind the time involved to bottle it really isn't that much of a big deal and having sampled my first ever effort just now out of a bottle that will do me :)

Good choice. I thought I had bad luck years back when my KK sprang a leak so I bought another. About 2 years later that too went to the tip. Bottling followed and finally Corny kegs.

I think the ideal state is Corny's for enjoying your beer at home and keep some bottles for sharing.

Don’t be so hasty. Half an hour of faff preparing a King Keg once vs a couple of hours of faff EVERY brew on bottling!
It takes me about 30-45mins for a bottling day. I appreciate that by using the dishwasher for sanitising whilst I eat my tea I’m cutting some time off, but even when I didn’t have a dishwasher it didn’t take anywhere near couple of hours. Starsan in a bottle rinser and bottling tree was only a 15min job.

Using these as casks (pressure barrels) I went up to 26 PSI testing them, yes the inverted bottom does pop out but you wouldn't go that high. $7 AUD for a 20 litre holds 23 litres $9 AUD for a 25 litre holds 28 litres.
001.JPG

002.JPG

It takes me about 30-45mins for a bottling day. I appreciate that by using the dishwasher for sanitising whilst I eat my tea I’m cutting some time off, but even when I didn’t have a dishwasher it didn’t take anywhere near couple of hours. Starsan in a bottle rinser and bottling tree was only a 15min job.

A dishwasher might make a difference, I don’t have one and have to wash every bottle by hand. I forget other people have fangled contraptions to make their lives easier. ;)

(Still like my kegs 🤫)

If it's just to save bottling time, what about 5 litre mini kegs? I put half my batch in them and the rest in bottles.
View attachment 28129

How long do they last? I have heard they need replacing every 2-4 brews or so. I have a couple and they're great on time-saving (I fall in to the category of people who take ~2 hours to bottle a 23L batch from start to finish).

If it's just to save bottling time, what about 5 litre mini kegs? I put half my batch in them and the rest in bottles.
View attachment 28129
There's two sorts. Someone has given me a few of both, which had previously held beer from a local brewery. The one in the picture requires the top vent to be destroyed and replaced. I have then used a rubber bung bought for the purpose. With the other sort, the top vent arrangement can be re-used. Others can be bought, rather than 'repurposed' and can be fitted with a top mounted dispensing tap. This elevates the whole thing from cheap and cheerful to quite expensive
Anyway my s/h kegs are on trial. I too have heard that the repurposed kegs only last a few fillings, but then the lining fails and your beer has a metallic taste. Time will tell on that for me.
Long thread on these here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/easy-keg-5l.57568/page-89#post-909191
I don't see why, pretty sure i must have used a few of mine 10x. I tend not to use the ones with the bottom taps on them as I use a Party Star dispenser.
Good to know. athumb..

How long do they last? I have heard they need replacing every 2-4 brews or so. I have a couple and they're great on time-saving (I fall in to the category of people who take ~2 hours to bottle a 23L batch from start to finish).
That’s why I stopped using them, fed up of replacing them because the lining has split/corroded. I was able to put up with the metallic taste in the beer but it also caused nucleation points resulting in kegs full of foam.

I’ve upgraded to the expensive pressurised minikegs with Sodastream bottle and regulator as the practicalities work better than for cornies, I’ll see on Friday how my first brew in it has worked out but I can see myself switching to them completely.

Latest posts

Back