Adding Steeped Grains during fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowe1992

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question borne out of curiosity.

I’ve just taken a gravity sample of a pale ale I brewed at the weekend.
Aiming for a FG of 1.012 and it’s already down at 1.008.

It’s a pale ale with Maris Otter, caramalt, wheat and a bit of crystal.

Sample was a lot drier than intended and I’d expected more sweetness at this stage.

I’ll probably leave as is and take it for what it is, but it got me to thinking what would happen if I steeped some crystal and added it to the fermentor. Anyone tried something similar?

Edit - should note aim would be to add some sweetness and some unfermentable sugar to boost FG..

Last edited:
Agree with above.
Yeast easy sugar. So anything sweet will get made more alc unless it is unfermentable.

Easy. Aldi do a yellow jar of sucralose and add to taste. Sorted.

Question borne out of curiosity.

I’ve just taken a gravity sample of a pale ale I brewed at the weekend.
Aiming for a FG of 1.012 and it’s already down at 1.008.

It’s a pale ale with Maris Otter, caramalt, wheat and a bit of crystal.

Sample was a lot drier than intended and I’d expected more sweetness at this stage.

I’ll probably leave as is and take it for what it is, but it got me to thinking what would happen if I steeped some crystal and added it to the fermentor. Anyone tried something similar?

Edit - should note aim would be to add some sweetness and some unfermentable sugar to boost FG..
Not wise to add anything when fermentation has started. Let the beer condition before assessing it. What can appear dry early on can get better. If it does turn out to be too dry put it down to experience and mash at a higher temperature next time.

Of course. I’m straight down the tried and tested route of over complicating things.

I have lactose in as I used some in the low ABV beer I made a while back.

This is a small trial batch anyway, so I may bottle half as is and dose the rest with a bit of lactose to evaluate any difference…

Interesting thread on the fermentable sugars from crystal.. I’d always assumed they weren’t..

Of course. I’m straight down the tried and tested route of over complicating things.

I have lactose in as I used some in the low ABV beer I made a while back.

This is a small trial batch anyway, so I may bottle half as is and dose the rest with a bit of lactose to evaluate any difference…

Interesting thread on the fermentable sugars from crystal.. I’d always assumed they weren’t..
They are. Even roast malt will have some fermentable sugar left in the grain. I add the none fermentable at mash out when the enzymes Alpha and Beta are spent.

Back