5 Live - In my opinion (24/4)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have your TV at eye level or on the wall?

• I am old school and prefer it at eye level.

• I prefer mine on the wall (i will explain in the thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Todays 5 live breakfast phone in.

Do you have your TV on a unit at eye level or on the wall?

The guy that started todays in my opinion said TV's should be at eye level not bolted to a wall above your head as in his view its not comfortable to view and it looks tacky.

Do you agree?

Last edited:
Centre of the screen should roughly be at eye level from your viewing position (i.e. the sofa) but a bit either way is ok. You also need to account for the fact that it's probably not just you watching it and members of your family maybe taller or shorter so somewhere in the middle for everyone.

Mine's bolted to the wall at eye level so doesn't really fit in either poll option 😉

I don't agree with it being mounted on a chimney breast above a fireplace so you are definitely looking up to watch it. Can't be comfortable for the neck

I don't agree with it being mounted on a chimney breast above a fireplace so you are definitely looking up to watch it. Can't be comfortable for the neck

I have often wondered what the picture looks like if you are in a large room and sat to the side of the TV surely this must effect the picture quality, also in the picture below the light from the window must shine on the screen.

1682436126184.png

I have often wondered what the picture looks like if you are in a large room and sat to the side of the TV surely this must effect the picture quality, also in the picture below the light from the window must shine on the screen.

View attachment 84822
Largely depends on the screen technology. Plasma and now OLED have pretty large viewing angles so watching a bit from the side doesn't really make much difference. Cheap and nasty LCD panels will suffer a significant loss of picture quality as you angle away from the centre point.

And yes in the setup shown above the light from the window will present issues for daytime viewing especially if the sun is on that side of the house.

As far as height that doesn't look too bad, it's more this sort of thing that is just plain stupid (unless you spend more time gazing at your fire than TV) 😆

1481218181-tv-over-fireplace.jpg

As far as height that doesn't look too bad,

Sorry but hat doesn't look good to me.

I have a Freesat and Freeview recorder (haven't watched an advert in years) and a decent sound bar, if i had this set up i would have to find a place for the sound bar and i would have two boxes to hide, then there is the problem with cables running to the TV.

In my much underused living room I have a 40 something inch Panasonic plasma which has great picture and sound.
Until the end of last year when the room was refurbished it was sat on a glass unit in the corner. This I got rid of and placed the TV on a huge oak stand,moving it to the centre of a wall,replacing a free standing electric fire and surround.
There's loads more room but the best thing is the sound is massively improved or seems to be,probably due to there being a solid wall behind it.

There's loads more room but the best thing is the sound is massively improved or seems to be,probably due to there being a solid wall behind it.

My hearing isn't *great so was disappointed when we got our fist LCD screen as the sound volume and quality was poor i put up with it for a couple of years but then decided to give a sound bar a try and the difference for me was like night and day, it wasn't cheap but it was worth every penny.

*too many years working on a very noisy machine in the shipyard.

Latest posts

Back