Starter kit or all grain starter kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBilly

Reaction score
Hello All

I am thinking about starting to brew my own beer, so playing around with a few ideas and doing some research.

The question is: should I start off with a beginners starter kit containing everything, or should I make a bit more of an investment and get an all grain starter kit? Is there a natural progression to an all grain brew from a beginners kit?

I would probably feel more satisfied knowing that I brewed my beer from scratch rather than opening a tin. But hey I'm new to this so I would appreciate your advice and guidance.

Cheers
BrewBilly

using a kit you just need a fermenter basically...all grain you will need several large pots or buckets as a boiler and a mash tun + the fermenter

For my two pence worth I have spent my first year brewing kits. 17 in total and every one a winner. Now I feel comfortable with that process I am looking to move things along so had some AG equpiment for Christmas and will be trying my first AG next week.

Nothing wrong with kits , beers is great and minimises the disruption in the kitchen :cheers:

Start with a kit or 2 that way you get the basics without having to fuss about mashing and boiling. Other than a tin opener all the equipment you use with kits is needed with all grain, i.e fermentation bucket and barrel, hydrometer, siphon, thermometer.

Use either a 2 can kit which contains everything you'll need or if use a 1 can kit get a packet of beer kit enhancer rather than table or brewing sugar and you'll get as good a pint as you'll get from kits.

If you enjoy the process then you'll just need to buy a boiler if going for BIAB or a boiler and mash tun if going for a 3 vessel method.

if you want to give it a go, then what you want to do is do something that will give you decent results < if it turns out ****, you aren't likely to do it again, which would be a great shame, as there are some amazing results to be had.

Personally, I'd go for something like St Peter's Ruby Red Ale (if you like Ale), you'll need something to ferment in, such as a closed fermenter or a bucket, some steriliser, a spoon, something to measure the ABV (a Hydrometer to give it it's proper name), a thermometer, some pipe for syphoning, and then something to put it in to carbonate (condition i.e. improve) - a keg or bottles.

I prefer the latter - have a check here for Ale: here - I'd prefer the same with bottles (screw tops) until you get proficient and then move onto a crown corker and use glass bottles and metal caps.

or perhaps http://www.balliihoo.co.uk/balliihoo-ba ... -p-16.html plus a kit of your choice - the ones you don't add sugar to (i.e. have two tins of malt at 1.5kg each - like the St Peter's or Woodfordes, or Lion's Pride) will turn out better.

If you buy a starter kit and decide it's not for you, then a starter set will have resale value < something to consider.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will start off with a starter kit to get the basic equipment and then brew for a while to get my head around the whole process before tackling all grain brewing.

Thank you for all the advice

BrewBilly

You might want to post your location....Im sure a "Brew Daddy" will come along and show you how to brew. The instructions on most kits are idiot proof, but it will help you a great deal during the critical stages.
I would personally start with a couple of kits, then go onto a extract recipe, then order your black cape (with hood) and go over to the dark side.

johnnyboy1965 said:
You might want to post your location....Im sure a "Brew Daddy" will come along and show you how to brew. The instructions on most kits are idiot proof, but it will help you a great deal during the critical stages.
I would personally start with a couple of kits, then go onto a extract recipe, then order your black cape (with hood) and go over to the dark side.

Going with Johnnyboy's suggestion is a great sociable way to get introduced to the process of home brewing and others in he forum. It may also be a way to get straight into the dark arts of all grain brewing.
That's the way I'm headed after some years o making kits and specials like Ginger Beer.
However you approach it - enjoy and have good fun with it.

Hello BrewBilly,

I've just started this hobby as well and I can confidently say I'm grateful I started with a hopped malt extract starter kit. Do I want go AG in the future? Of course I do! Like you, I want to say that this is my beer and I chose the flavours for it. But starter kits definitely have a place. You can learn some of the basics first before jumping in to the deep end and I'm grateful I did so because I had a couple of issues to overcome with my first kit (getting rid of chlorine smells and perfecting syphoning technique by the water filling method). Also, my family and friends still enjoyed the kit beer (here's a picture of me and my father-in-law after he's come round for a few pints: :drunk: ).

So my suggestion? Progress at your own pace. Start with a kit to learn basics like sanitation, hydrometer readings, bottling/kegging, tasting :drink:, etc . And then move on to extract brewing and/or AG when you're comfortable.

johnnyboy1965 said:
The instructions on most kits are idiot proof
Except they are always very optimistic about the time taken for each stage. The Wherry kit says to ferment for 4-6 days but mine took more like 3 weeks. 2 days for secondary fermentation in the bottle is also too short.

Hi,

I started my first brew from kit last week, I got the coopers starter kit for xmas (£63 online). That in mind I'm not going to advise you but pass on a few words from my uncle who has brewed for years.

I spoke to my uncle about what kit to get and he told me that the kits are the best way to start because if they are done to the instructions, its almost a guaranteed good brew, this being important because if I did a couple if bad brews I would soon pack in.

This certainly made my mind up!!!

Zak

Thank you all for the advice.

I am happy to say that I have just ordered a Coopers Starter Kit - Ausie Lager, I will progress from there and see where my brewing journey takes me.

Just in response to the Brew Daddy topic raised earlier - I am in Ballymena, Northern Ireland if there are any Brew Daddy's out there.

Happy brewing folks

BrewBilly

Back