Idaho 7 and what to pair with?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Hi y'all

I have ordered some Idaho 7 hops and was thinking of pairing them with el Dorado for a pale ale. Never used Idaho before but have had some lovely beers with it. Probably all IPA.

Does anyone know what really goes well with Idaho or if I really shouldn't use el Dorado with it?

Thanks in advance
Phil

I've never used Eldorado, but I've used Idaho 7 with Citra to good effect. Any recipe that calls for Citra as a bittering hop can use Idaho 7 as a substitute. I also made a single hop ale with Idaho 7, it was ok, but works better in a mix.
Edit:
This is an interesting website. Indicates Idaho 6 should pair well with Eldorado.
https://crosbyhops.com/shop-hops/hop-catalog/idaho-7

Last edited:
I've used El Dorado before, it gives a pineapple flavour.

Never used Idaho 7 before but Scott Janish was raving about it with regard to survivables...

It's a long article so skip to the chart and conclusions at the end...

The long and short of the theory is chuck some Idaho 7 in the whirlpool (El Dorado I think is also quite high in survivables according to the chart)...

If you use the right yeast it will magically bio-transform these survivables into mega fruity compounds in the finished beer.

(According to Lallemand, BRY-97 for example is among the yeasts that contains the beta-glycosidase enzyme responsible)

I haven't specifically tried this yet but it is something I'm really interested to try with some of the hops said to be high in these survivables 👍

Idaho 7 has a very potent fermented pineapple flavour to me, it is a bit reminiscent of azaaca. I think it would actually mesh well with galaxy. And possibly mosaic too.

Back