Flotit 2 in a fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seghes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have another thread running on the problem of the traditional floating ball and filter set up in a Fermzilla Gen2. It got stuck - no flow, and until it started I never really found out why. I was always sceptical of the angle of the filter and how it alternated between poking above the surface and being submerged. Sucking up air (co2) seemed always a hazard. Plus I don’t like the way it stops at the point of leaving a couple of litres or so above the trub bed.
My search for a solution led me to the Flotit 2 - a clever invention that seems to address all the issues. However, it seems to be aimed at being used in kegs - as a way of drawing clear beer from the top. Has anyone used it successfully in a fermenter? Or is there another alternative?

Think I looked into this some time ago but struggled to source one. Seemed to only be available in the US? but reviews from the US on various forums seem to be pretty good.

This chap has done a few comparison videos not he topic if you've not checked him out already...

Ultimately I seemed to get good results with the standard silver ball with filter...never had blockage issues and have to tilt the fermzilla when the level gets low to get that last couple of litres out and prevent it from sucking up CO2.

I 3D printed my own solution for my pressure barrel. An adapter for the inside of the tap which a tube goes into. On the other end it slots into a filter which is attached to a floating ball. When the barrel is nearly empty the float can’t float anymore so the filter end drops to the bottom.

I can post pictures and an STL file if anyone is interested to see if it would work on a fermzilla

We are kindred spirits @Twostage . I also made my own, not for my barrels but my fermentation bucket. I've gone through several designs as it includes a PTFE coated magnet so the assembly is held above the wort during fermentation to keep it clean. After fermentation is complete and any dry hopping the float can be dipped into the beer to take a sample before cold crashing. I wouldn't use a filter in a FB for fear of blockage.
IMG_20220913_163632611.jpg

I 3D printed my own solution for my pressure barrel. An adapter for the inside of the tap which a tube goes into. On the other end it slots into a filter which is attached to a floating ball. When the barrel is nearly empty the float can’t float anymore so the filter end drops to the bottom.

I can post pictures and an STL file if anyone is interested to see if it would work on a fermzilla
Yes would be keen to see, thanks

Think I looked into this some time ago but struggled to source one. Seemed to only be available in the US? but reviews from the US on various forums seem to be pretty good.

This chap has done a few comparison videos not he topic if you've not checked him out already...

Ultimately I seemed to get good results with the standard silver ball with filter...never had blockage issues and have to tilt the fermzilla when the level gets low to get that last couple of litres out and prevent it from sucking up CO2.

I bought one from Amazon. It does come the US though. Haven't gotten around to using it yet.

I was looking at the Amazon offering as well - it’s the shipping cost that kills it. In fact I wrote to the inventor and asked what plans he had for a model to go in a fermenter. Here’s his reply
Yes, we have a Double Filter Inlet for ball float typically used in Fermzella or Fermentasaurus. So, you can use your existing ball float and tubing of the Fermzella.
By the way, FLOTit 2.0 also works in kegmenter or Sanke kegs.
You can check it out here https://a.co/d/izlDp65
Hope this helps.

He went on to describe a new “killer product” that will brew 2 galls grain to glass in 5 days. Quite a guy.

Yes would be keen to see, thanks

Screen shot of the Tinkercad design from top left clockwise :-

Float - the beer tube goes through the hole at the top. The 'fins' at the bottom are simply there to support the print so I don't have to mess on with supports.
Hop filter - the beer pipe goes into this.
Beer line adapter - goes into the back of the tap and then the pipe goes into that.
Weight - sized so that a marble just fits into it. This can go either before or after the float. I think the little hole at the top is a relic from when I was thinking I would attach the float and weight using some fishing wire before I realised I could just push the beer pipe through both.

beer float.jpg

He went on to describe a new “killer product” that will brew 2 galls grain to glass in 5 days. Quite a guy.
He is a top bloke when he came to Australia I brewed a beer with him on a Monday, and on Saturday we were drinking it. Not a great beer but beer nonetheless. He ferments all his beers at 30C and under pressure, even stouts and ales, I only tried the one we made which was an American IPA. I still see his brew pot when I go into KegKing.

Last edited:
He is a top bloke when he came to Australia I brewed a beer with him on a Monday, and on Saturday we were drinking it. Not a great beer but beer nonetheless. He ferments all his beers at 30C and under pressure, even stouts and ales, I only tried the one we made which was an American IPA. I still see his brew pot when I go into KegKing.

Interesting; he’s got such great energy, and a serial inventor! Is the brew pot the same as his “all-in-one Pot-au-Brew” he told me about? He also said he had approached the UK’s The Malt Miller which I don’t suppose went anywhere. Maybe I’ll ask them.

Screen shot of the Tinkercad design from top left clockwise :-

Float - the beer tube goes through the hole at the top. The 'fins' at the bottom are simply there to support the print so I don't have to mess on with supports.
Hop filter - the beer pipe goes into this.
Beer line adapter - goes into the back of the tap and then the pipe goes into that.
Weight - sized so that a marble just fits into it. This can go either before or after the float. I think the little hole at the top is a relic from when I was thinking I would attach the float and weight using some fishing wire before I realised I could just push the beer pipe through both.

View attachment 98682
Looks intriguing but I couldn’t quite see how it comes together. Got a diagram or photo to show that?

Interesting; he’s got such great energy, and a serial inventor! Is the brew pot the same as his “all-in-one Pot-au-Brew” he told me about? He also said he had approached the UK’s The Malt Miller which I don’t suppose went anywhere. Maybe I’ll ask them.
Yes he brought two over with him one small and the other large, they are pressure cookers adapted to his method. A serious brewer wouldn't bother with them but for someone who wants a quick turnaround they are ideal. Mash boil and ferment in one pot.

Looks intriguing but I couldn’t quite see how it comes together. Got a diagram or photo to show that?

LOL, only printed one and its in the barrel. A quick diagram :-

IMG_6745.jpg

Assembly is a bit fiddly. Push the tube into the weight, float and filter and thread it into the barrel from the top so the other end of the tube pokes through the tap hole. Push the tube into the adapter then push the adapter into the back of the tap and then screw the tap into place.

Could be me but after finding the design I liked, i.e. that worked! I replaced my printed float assembly with a hand made version from polycarbonate sheet. I was never happy about getting the 3-D printed version clean and sanitised as they were porous.

LOL, only printed one and its in the barrel. A quick diagram :-

View attachment 98729

Assembly is a bit fiddly. Push the tube into the weight, float and filter and thread it into the barrel from the top so the other end of the tube pokes through the tap hole. Push the tube into the adapter then push the adapter into the back of the tap and then screw the tap into place.
Pretty much the same as the KegKing floating dip tube but theirs has a s/steel key ring attached to just submerge the filter.

Latest posts

Back