Youngs Dried Active Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank950

Reaction score
On the back of the youngs dried active yeast jar is states to use 1 level tea spoon full for 1 gallon...what would i use for my 5 gallon wort?.surley not 5 tea spoons?.just think this is a little much although i could be wrong.

For 5 gallons I would use around 2.5 tsps, or not quite a full tablespoon.

Moley said:
For 5 gallons I would use around 2.5 tsps, or not quite a full tablespoon.

Primed it in a pint glass..as soon as i see activity will i add it to the wort or would it be best to leave it for a few hours?.
Also while waiting on an answer i just used around 4 tsp full..am shure a little more wont do much harm.

Using more won't do any harm at all.

Yes, pitch the starter when it's starting to froth a bit. Personally, I rarely bother with starters and just sprinkle and stir or shake.

What are you making? Brewers make 'wort', in winemaking it's the 'must', but I'm not sure what term cider makers use.

Moley said:
Using more won't do any harm at all.

Yes, pitch the starter when it's starting to froth a bit. Personally, I rarely bother with starters and just sprinkle and stir or shake.

What are you making? Brewers make 'wort', in winemaking it's the 'must', but I'm not sure what term cider makers use.

A ginger beer...
I was not seeing any action from the wort after adding champagne yeast ,i then put a brew belt on and raised the temp to 26c and its seems to have started.I have now turned off the brew belt to see what will happen when the temp settles down.I may not need the yeast starter although i can use it for another few brews this evening i could start.turbo cider and alco coke.

Latest posts

Back