Yeast (S-04) rehydration, maintaining temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
I may finally get round to doing my first ever (kit) brew this weekend. I'll be using Safale-04.
The suggested rehydration conditions are 27C +/- 3C for 45-60mins.
For optimum rehydration should the temperature be maintained within this range for the rehydration time? I ask because:

The suggested fermentation temperature is 15-24C.
I'm assuming that it's best not to have too large a temperature difference between the rehydrated yeast and the wort.

I'm intending to have the wort around 18-20C at pitching time, I'll err on the low side as it'll be fermenting in the house, ambient will be 19-21C and I don't want the heating due to the fermentation to take it too high.

If I put 24C rehydrated yeast into 18C wort am I going to give it a bit of a shock? I'm thinking the best is to let the rehydrating yeast cool to ambient during the rehydration period.

Also is there any particular advantage to rehydrating in wort rather than water? I'm intending to have the yeast rehydrating while I'm dissolving the kit contents/making up the wort so I can just bang it in when everything's ready.
Alternatively I have some (dark) dried malt extract I got use as a rehydration solution.

Of course, all my tempertures and timings will probably go to pot, this being the first attempt and let's face it the little yeasty beasties are no doubt robust enough to handle a bit of mistreatment, but I might as well aim for the optimum!

Cheers

Chris

Just bung it straight from the sachet into the fermenter. Rehydration may have it's benefits, but in reality it doesn't matter that much.

drf said:
The suggested fermentation temperature is 15-24C.
Most peeps suggest fermenting at 18-22 deg C. This is a good, consistent rule of thumb to go for with most ale yeasts including S04. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back