Wychwood bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianmole72

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well, I was feeling great,after having 20 empty wychwood bottles given to me...

I thought,well I'll try out my new capper, and, oh joy, it won't work on them !

Oh well... :cry:

Stephen

yep I've had this in the past when I bought a job lot from Lidl.. Bench capper only for these bottles I'm afraid..

Oh %^&^%%$!" ! I have about 20 of them and my two handled capper wont work, hadn't thought of that problem.

My mates hammer on capper works fine, but I dont feel happy with the though of all those potential glass splinters heading down towards my hand :(

Buy a Bench capper . . . . So much easier to use than a twin lever one . . . and no issues with bottles.

Just bottled 2 Returnable Pints, 4 Magners, 2 500ml Euro pint, and 1 Black Sheep and one Wychwood bottles with no issues apart from a quick height adjustment.

Don't throw them Stephen :thumb:
Bring them along Next weekend and I'll swap you some that you can use :thumb:
I have a bench capper that works a treat on them.

If I had known I would have kept them ad offered them to anyone who wants them. If I get any in the next batch comming soon I will keep them and let people know.

:cheers:

AG

That's a bugger for me too, I had started collecting Hobgoblin bottles to use with the twin lever capper i have just been given. What are peoples recommendations that do work so I can start and collect them.

The Wychwood ones are the only ones I have found so far that don't work. The only other issue is the ones with the "thin" ring around the neck, like this bottle:
goldengloryalebottle.jpg

These ones will cap even if it doesn't seem like it, but they're quite awkward so it takes a bit of practice and knowing exactly what angle to apply the pressure at!

I went through a phase of drinking an embarrasing quantity of hobgoblin (well, it is very nice!) so I've got loads of these. I have a two handed capper but ended up buying a knock on with a hammer type as the two handle wouldn't work. Was less than a tenner and really not difficult to use. They're quite strong bottles it seems!

Dave

Bench capper only for these bottles I'm afraid..
You can do them with a hand capper, I do it all the time. It is hard though and you need to press down from above; get yourself over the bottle.

Latest posts

Back