wooden spoon!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
One of the books i am reading 'the best wine recipes' by bill crabtree circa 1979 suggests using a wooden spoon, this book is old but i have heard that wooden spoons harbour bacteria that can be tricky to eliminate. any thoughts!? :?

i wouldnt use a wooden spoon :nono: use a plastic or metal one. if you have a wilkinsons close by they seel long handle plastic spoons for about £2.

Not even boiling wooden culinary gear for a long period cleans it all the way through. Certainly sharing chopsticks or using common ones in China is a great short-cut to hepatitis!

CptnCrackoff said:
Thanks i'l get plastic, it also says avoid metal contact as far as possible as this will taint the wine!?

Sounds potentially OTT but plastic's a lot more inert and less prone to mistakes. Of course a vast amount of commercial wine is made in metal vats which have been tested as safe and probably coated with all kinds of **** anyway (just like soft drink cans are) :)

Latest posts

Back