wine ready, no corker!!!!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crouchy

Reaction score
can some1 please give me advice on what i can do.
my corker has been lost in post and wont be hear on time as my batch is ready this weekend.
can you tell me anything or should i just leave it in the bucket with the sediment.

i was thinking should or can i rack it off so ther is no sediment and leave it till it comes???

How long has it been on the sediment C - sorry missed original post :oops:

You can only bottle clear, bright and sediment free wine anyway so i'd be racking it off any sediment and only bottling when clear. If you've added finings and it's sitting on those you can rack off into another clean fv/demijohn and bung it until your wine corker arrives. A lot of wine makers have their wine on sediment for months so a few days to a week while you wait for your corker isn't going to ruin it.

i added my finings on tues so its not clear yet anyway, i just need to no the best thing to do when its done

The best thing to do is to rack it off the sediment and leave it a week or two for any remaining **** to fall out of suspension. Bulk ageing of wine is the best thing to do, only bottle it when you are sure it's not going to drop any more sediment.
Don't rush wine :)

I don't use any finings in my wine and I leave it for as long as it takes to drop bright on it's own. If I notice my wine dropping a large amount of sediment I rack it off and set it back to condition again, checking every couple of weeks for further large sediment deposits. As long as you're getting it off the big deposits you can leave your wine for months on small sediment without off tastes in the wine.

If you use finings you'll visibly notice the wine shifting a massive amount of crud to the bottom of your demijohn and leaving it as clear as commercial wine. As long as the wine is crystal it's good to bottle and then you have a whole other waiting game to deal with.

Latest posts

Back