Wine/Cider/Beer "Kits"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was just curious to see how many of you have tried the kits available online, they mostly come with everything you need, the only additionals (excluding equiptment) are water and sugar :wha: . I know youngs do a few different cider varieties which I am particularly interested in but also I have seen kits for wines and beer. I am feeling the sweet(ish) fruit ciders and wines at the moment. Any info would be great :thumb:

Ta,
Dee

I don't see much reason to try a cider kit.
I tried a few mates brews a good few years back and they were rubbish.
Turbo ciders (with added tanin and acid in the form of lemon juice and a little sugar) have however been a revelation.
Same goes for white wines. I see no need for kits when the various juice wine versions are so good.
I will soon be trying out some of the Beaverdale red wine kits but until then I can't comment.
I do however use kits for beer with great results.

I have tried a number of kits and find that the more you pay generally the better. Beaverdale was my first wine kit (only need to add water) and I was happy with the result but it seemed a little watered down. Since then I have brewed a number of other beverdale kits and have always added less water than suggested to give greater body. I usually aim of 1085-1090 on the hydrometer and only top up to about 21 ltrs in the fermenter. Again with beer started cheap but soon was on Woodforde's kits which again all you need to add is water.

I would also agree with Ken L on the cider front, nip down to your local cheap supermarket and get some 'on offer' apple juice. I knocked up a couple of batches last summer and the results were good and at around 55p/litre you can't complain. Certainly do add the tanin and acid though.

I'm trying a Belvino Australian red kit at the moment and its smelling rather good. It's cheap, which suits my pocket and quick which suits my missus. That leaves my demi's free while it brews in the fv, giving me the option to make something a bit more wacky and keep wifey happy at the same time. Bonus, everyone's a winner.

Back