Wine/Beer in a shed...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeds Chimp

Reaction score
Just got a new shed that intend to keep the beer and wine in as run out of room in the house....

Anything I need to look out for as just worried it will get too hot/cold and ruin it??

Leeds Chimp said:
mick may":2acsjpeo]i agree about the burglars ... get a shed alarm from ebay ... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-PIR-MOTION-SENSOR-ALARM-2-REMOTE-CONTROLS-SHED-HOME-GARAGE-CARAVAN-/130773614950?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item1e72b70166 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-PIR- ... 1e72b70166[/url]
and good insulation will look after the tempature both hot and cold ...

regards mick... :hat: .

dont need to worry about the burglars.....

Any advice on the insulation part...cheap and cheerful :thumb:[/quote:2acsjpeo]

not the cheapest but very very good ...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/polystyrene-25m ... tAodWUcAAg

then just board over the top ...
thats what i did ...
its great in frost or sun ...
exellent insulation...

Does anyone know if the shed alarm is any good ?
At under £5 delivered it could be worth a try.
It makes me wonder how nuch things actually cost to make, probably only a few pence

tenbeech said:
Does anyone know if the shed alarm is any good ?
At under £5 delivered it could be worth a try.
It makes me wonder how nuch things actually cost to make, probably only a few pence

hi tenbeech... :thumb: .

i only said about this type of alarm as iv got 2 of them ...
one in my old aviary/shed ....
and one in my motor bike/ shed ...

as long as you keep good batteries in them they work great ....

i have to say the batteries dont last as long in my motor bike shed as its not insulated ...
so its colder in there and as you no batteys dont like the cold ....

but its only 4 AA batteries ....
which in my cold shed they last 6 months ...
in my aviary/shed they last a year ...
i hope this helps ...

For insulation, easiest thing is to put up battons, and put sheets of insulation between them, then put ply over the top. Kingspan or Celotex has twice the insulation value of rockwool or polystyrene, although it isn't cheap. However, it does mean that if space is limited, you can use say 25mm rather than 50mm.

I am in the process of doing this to my block-work shed, so that come the summer, my beer doesn't get too hot! Cold is less of an issue, so long as your beer doesn't freeze.

Hi Mick May Thanks for the prompt reply .Like you I have a couple of motor bikes in the shed and lots of tools I have amassed over the years ( Junk as my wife calls it ) I will get a couple of these alarms , at this price you cant loose.

tenbeech said:
Hi Mick May Thanks for the prompt reply .Like you I have a couple of motor bikes in the shed and lots of tools I have amassed over the years ( Junk as my wife calls it ) I will get a couple of these alarms , at this price you cant loose.

no worrys tenbeech.... :thumb: .
only to glad to help ...

SloeBrewer said:
For insulation, easiest thing is to put up battons, and put sheets of insulation between them, then put ply over the top. Kingspan or Celotex has twice the insulation value of rockwool or polystyrene, although it isn't cheap. However, it does mean that if space is limited, you can use say 25mm rather than 50mm.

I am in the process of doing this to my block-work shed, so that come the summer, my beer doesn't get too hot! Cold is less of an issue, so long as your beer doesn't freeze.

+1 for Celotex/Kingspan, either 25 or 50mm. I may partition off part of a shed myself as a wine cellar and use this for insulation.

Travis Perkins used to have a website under a different name where it sold this type of insulation in bulk (you didn't know if it was going to be Celotex or Kingspan until it arrived, the sheet sizes and thicknesses are the same). I remember buying 10 sheets to insulate a shed for the same price (delivered) as three sheets would have cost (collected) from Wickes. I can't find the link, but I only found out it was part of Travis Perkins when I saw that written down the side of the waggon and asked the driver.

what about the summer months???
would it get too warm in there as more worried about that...

Thinking winter could put a couple of old duvets in there over the racks to keep warm but what about summer???

i have recently posted the same question up mate as i ran out of room and started using the shed. the closest ive got is to get an air con unit to control temperature in the summer. i have insulated the roof and have extractor fans in there. so before spending a fortune on air con im going to try a room thermostat that can be switched to control cooling aswell. im wiring the thermostat to a couple of extractor fans and have plenty of vents in there already. working out the cost it wont cost hardly anything to run the fans and im hoping may work

Latest posts

Back