Wilkinsons Hydrometer Temp Calibration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow47

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a Hydrometer from Wilkinsons but it doesn't say anywhere on the packet what temperature it's calibrated to. Does anyone own one of these and if so do you know what temp it's calibrated to? I'd assume it would be 60°F or 70°F.

Is is possible to check what temp the hydrometer's set to by putting it in tap water and changing the temperature until it's you've got a S.G reading of 1.000?

Thanks

:cheers:

Hi Shadow, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

I've bought 2 hydrometers from Wilkinson's, one is a Stevenson Reeves which says it's calibrated at 20°C, but it reads 1.004 in tap water at 20°C :wha:

The other isn't temperature marked, but that does read true at 20°C

Yeah, I've just stuck mine in some water at 20°C and got a reading of 0.998 which is why I'm posting this...

If I change the temp of the water so it reads 1.000 can I assume that's what it's calibrated to?

Thanks

shadow47 said:
Yeah, I've just stuck mine in some water at 20°C and got a reading of 0.998 which is why I'm posting this...

If I change the temp of the water so it reads 1.000 can I assume that's what it's calibrated to?

Thanks

No.

Just take two points off whatever you're measuring at 20degC.

jamesb said:
shadow47 said:

Thanks

No.

Just take two points off whatever you're measuring at 20degC.

OK makes sense, thanks for all the speedy responses :D.

Back