Wilco's kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie66

Reaction score
Hi all,
Was in wilkinsons today & noticed they do own brand 2 can kits, they have golden ale & real ale @ £22. Has anyone tried them yet ?
They have wherry at the same price so wait to see if the own brand is any good before trying.

Brewing :- Fiery ginger beer 16l
Conditioning :- Midas touch golden ale, BB IPA, Nelsons revenge.
Drinking :- BB stout [strong stuff] :drink:

I think they've only just been released mate... you will probably have to wait a while for a review. I have just kegged off a single can Wilko Pilsner; despite being a month off being ready, the sample tasted alright... quite smooth for a £10 kit :)

Picked up a golden ale kit today, hope to get it on tomorrow night.Says it will be about 4% so as the kits don't get near what it says on the instructions i will probably brew it short to 20l. Will let you all know how it goes .........

eddie66 said:
Picked up a golden ale kit today, hope to get it on tomorrow night.Says it will be about 4% so as the kits don't get near what it says on the instructions i will probably brew it short to 20l. Will let you all know how it goes .........

Out of curiosity as part of the learning curve, I just went and did a hydrometer test on the Pilsner 3 days into it's 2nd ferment in a pressure barrel, to see how it was doing. It's meant to be 4%, same as the other Wilko kits.

Started at 1038 corrected, went down to 1004 after 7 days = 4.5% ABV

Tested just now after 3 days in the keg... 1001. Puts it at 4.95% ABV

I didn't shove any extra sugar in, and didn't brew it short! Maybe the ABV on the Wilko kits is a conservative estimate??

Put the kit on tonight, og was 1042 @ 20l so see how it goes. I will leave it 'till bank holiday weekend before bottling.More to follow.

I'll follwo this with interest, the Wilkinson's golden ale kit looks to be the sort of drink I'd enjoy based on theblurb on the can :D

I have done the wilco's golden ale, it was very nice and great value (£16) for money. Come out clear as a bell and I worked it out as a FG of 5.2%, to which my head concurred to the next day.

Back