Which Hop to use in my dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymurph

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm on my third brew and I am looking for some advice about dry hopping.

I have 12 litres of an American Pale Ale in 4 glass demi-johns. I brewed this mash kit: https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hbc-american-pale-ale-mashkit-23lts-p-1251.html
It's made up of
Grain: Maris Otter, Crystal Malt
Hops: Nugget, Chinook, Cascade

I want to dry hop two of the demi-johns and I was wondering which hops might be interesting with the existing beer. In the freezer I have:
Fuggles
Cascade
Styrian Goldings
Saaz
Ahtanum
Chinook
Simcoe
Citra

I like Punk IPA so I was thinking of using some Citra to imitate Nelson Sauvin. Or maybe doubling down on the Cascade?
The beer has been in the FVs for 2 weeks and I'll dry hop for one more week before bottling.

Thanks

You have some good finishing hops for an APA there. The Citra, Simcoe, Chinook, Ahtanum and Cascade being the obvious choices. They are all very appropriate, it's any two really. And there are quite a few American IPAs now that blend US and European hops. Goose Island has Pilgrim and Styrian Goldings as well as US hops, and Bengali Tiger (sold in Wetherspoons) is dry hopped with EKG apparently. I love both those beers. So anything goes to be honest! I'm a big Simcoe fan, I also like Styrians, and I like Chinook as a steep/dry hop too. And it's very present in Punk IPA I reckon. Citra is great for aroma, I've never used Ahtanum but heard good things. and it's a Punk hop.

Thanks Clibit, that's cool, I was worried there was some real no no in my choices. I like Brewdog's Libertine porter which is all simcoe so maybe I'll go for that and Cascade

Why not stick Simcoe and one and go different with the other, Styrians or Fuggles, and get three quite different hop aromas to compare? Just a thought!

Yeah, I'll do simcoe in one and cascade and Chinook in the other two. I keep seeing cascade and Chinook around and I'd like to compare them against each other

Latest posts

Back