Where to place a tap when fitting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnc86

Reaction score
Just finally got a tap for my fv today and I need to make a hole. Got a bit that will do it but not sure how far up I should drill the hole.

Dont want it too far up, but dont want to pour sediment into the barrel/keg when I open the tap to transfer the beer after fermenting.

Anyone know the measurment? Sorry if its a daft question but I don't want to mess it up.

Yup, mine's about an inch too ...
ahhh .. maybe I should rephrase that.

*cough*
The bottom of the tap is just over 2cm from the base of the fv (I've gone all metric too!)

When I rack mine into secondary, I put a small block of wood under the back of the fv (opposite the tap) so that I get more out when I bottle. I always mark the final two bottles out too .. so that if any sediment does transfer into bottles, I know which ones. Doesn't usually happen though.

The important thing to look at is where the nut will seat when you place the tap. If you drill the hole too low you wont be able to get the nut on the back of the tap :thumb:

On my fv's the tap is in much the same position as the other guys. One of my fv's however was drilled by the HB shop and the tap is around 3" off the base. It's actually easier to rack from this bucket and you lose less beer. If you tilt the fv to get the beer out towards the end of racking, the yeast sloughs toward the tap, the lower the tap the quicker the yeast reaches it. I still don't use it much though, as I just don't like it :lol: :roll:

EDIT, Forgot to add that I mount my tap sideways

I always fit the tap so that when the FV is on a flat surface the tap is not touching the surface.
Just give it 5mm or so and you won't damage the tap when putting the FV down on the surface.

I intend to use the tap to tranfer the beer into the keg obviously.

Will any dead yeast come through the tap and into the keg? Should I discard the first couple of pints worth incase or does the dead yeast only take a bit of space at the bottom?

I mounted it about an inch from bottom. When the FV is on the work surface the tap has a little bit of clearnece.

Will any dead yeast come through the tap and into the keg? Should I discard the first couple of pints worth incase or does the dead yeast only take a bit of space at the bottom?
A small amount of yeast may have gathered in the rear of the tap and that will come through when you open it. It's nothing to worry about and it'll soon settle out again :thumb:

Latest posts

Back