When Can I drink my brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoney

Reaction score
Hello...Ive just done my first ever batch of cider...it seems ok...a bit cloudy and a bit flat looking (should it look like that?) as I was expeciting it to be clear and fizzy...ha

I had one misshap...as I went on holiday and I asked my brother to syphon the cider into a new demijohn when it stopped fermenting (I was told not to leave it in the sediment for too long after fermentation).. My brother put the airlock back on but didnt put any water in it!!! So it was left for a day before I came back exposed to the air....I filled it straight away and it looks ok...slight bubbling (very slight).....

Should it be fizzey? or do you usually add extra stuff to make cider fizzy??

Well I am looking to drink it fairly soon ( I know I should wait) but should I be bottling it first?

Hi Stoney & welcome to the forum :thumb:

I wouldn't worry too much about the airlock, it's not the end of the world as the fermenting cider would have created a blanket layer of co2 over it's surface which will have protected it.

In order to make it fizzy you need to add priming sugars to the bottles when bottling, I normally use 1/2 tsp for ales and up to 1tsp (per 500ml strong glass bottle or PET bottle) for a 'fizz'.

Hope that helps :thumb:

Brilliant thanks...Ill consider that then thanks..

Just out of interest you say there would have been a CO2 film...but as It was syphoned it into a new jar wouldnt this have been broken at that stage?
Thanks for the welcome too...much appreciated...

the layer of c02 would have regenerated pretty quickly, certainly before any damage was done.

Enjoy the forum :thumb:

Hey Wez...this is great....Ive had some great help already and ive only been here 10 mins or so.

:thumb: there is normally someone around who can help, if not it doesn't normally take long :D

Stoney said:
No but it sounds interesting?
It's quite simple :party:
Supermarket apple juice (own brand, from concentrate)
Yeast

Thats it :party:

There are threads here CLICKY
and even a video here CLICKY courtesy of Aleman

Latest posts

Back