What we don't see on our news.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't put this in the Covid the end thread as it doesn't look anywhere near the end in India.

Why are they dumping the dead in the river?

The local official said (skip to1:46) nothing like this is happening and bodies washing up is a national phenomenon now skip to 3:05 and see if you think its normal the guy on the boat doesn't seem to think so.

More than 70 bodies have been recovered from the river in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh Local reports claim more than 100 bodies have been dumped into the river, the discovery of bodies has triggered panic over the spread of Covid-19 through Ganga river water, here's an India Today exclusive.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In particular with the Ganges it's a religious thing...I think! They usually burn them then chuck the remains into the river.

so it's not true to say we won't see it on our news, unless you only count the BBC

I don't buy a newspaper other than a local one which didn't mention this, i rely on the BBC website for world news and that is why the thread title says - What we don't see on our news!

Maybe for accuracy i should have said BBC news as i also don't view SKY or any other online news site but at the time of posting i didn't think it would be an issue.

Last edited:
I only view the UK and England part of the BBC news site (that's depressing enough most days) so missed that, i don't remember it being on the BBC TV news at the time and i do watch every morning before work, oh well 11 days old no longer news i guess.

Did you post just to correct the OP or did you have something to add and forgot to post it in your haste to correct the OP?

Well done you win our pedant of the week prize!

There isn't actually a prize i just made that up. ;)

Calling out a wholly wrong thread title is hardly being pedantic.

Although I do have a tendency for it...I think I must be bordering on the autistic spectrum...

Only messing, i am the same and would have pulled you up in a heartbeat if it had been the other way around. :laugh8:

Have a good evening and enjoy your beer. :beer1:

So the questions still remain unanswered -

Why are they dumping bodies in the river instead of burying them?

Why is the official saying "this is not happening and bodies washing up is a national phenomenon"

So the questions still remain unanswered -

Why are they dumping bodies in the river instead of burying them?

Why is the official saying "this is not happening and bodies washing up is a national phenomenon"
I assume the usual means of disposing of the bodies (cremation?) are overwhelmed by the numbers of deaths.

To quote a webpage: While some Hindus do bury their dead, the most common practice is to cremate the body, collect the ashes, and on the fourth day, disperse the ashes in a sacred body of water or other place of importance to the deceased person.

Many (most?) Hindus follow cremation as the 'best' way to respect the dead. As the articles they currently aren't able to buy wood to burn the dead and so are falling on to old traditions which to them are preferable to burial. In many small towns there will be no burial grounds as normally people wouldn't be buried there (Indian is a majority Hindu country). To the people there it may be preferable to release your relative to the river than to bury them - where would they put them? Farm land? Scrub land? Sports field?

To quote a webpage: While some Hindus do bury their dead, the most common practice is to cremate the body, collect the ashes, and on the fourth day, disperse the ashes in a sacred body of water or other place of importance to the deceased person.

Many (most?) Hindus follow cremation as the 'best' way to respect the dead. As the articles they currently aren't able to buy wood to burn the dead and so are falling on to old traditions which to them are preferable to burial. In many small towns there will be no burial grounds as normally people wouldn't be buried there (Indian is a majority Hindu country). To the people there it may be preferable to release your relative to the river than to bury them - where would they put them? Farm land? Scrub land? Sports field?

Yes, I also heard and read somewhere (I can't remember the sources) a few days ago that the shortage of available wood for cremations was the main reason why bodies are being dumped in the rivers . . . . . . It really is tragic to see this - and of course a major health hazard.

Yes, I also heard and read somewhere (I can't remember the sources) a few days ago that the shortage of available wood for cremations was the main reason why bodies are being dumped in the rivers . . . . . . It really is tragic to see this - and of course a major health hazard.
Indeed it is. At least I never saw any dead human bodies in the Eagley Brook during lockdown.
(The Eagley Brook runs from Belmont Reservoir down the valley of the same name to form the R Tonge together with the Astley Brook at Waters Meeting in North Bolton.)

Indeed it is. At least I never saw any dead human bodies in the Eagley Brook during lockdown.
(The Eagley Brook runs from Belmont Reservoir down the valley of the same name to form the R Tonge together with the Astley Brook at Waters Meeting in North Bolton.)

Not wishing to be flippant, but fortunately we do have a well organised system of gas fired crematoriums in this country.

BTW . . . . . Its nice walking country around the reservoirs up that way :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back